Cannot establish wireless communication b/t router and game adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot establish wireless communication b/t router and game adapter

I have set the IP addresses on both the game adapter and the router to the proper settings, and can access them both when wired. I cannot establish wireless connection with the game adapter when router is plugged into Driver Station. Cannot get Driver Station to recognize and connect to wireless router. Have been through instructions multiple times, and cannot find a setting that allows them to communicate. Please help!!

Re: Cannot establish wireless communication b/t router and game adapter

I've helped several teams set up the wireless link, and although it seems pretty reliable once it's going, I've been surprised how finicky it is to get working.

Some things I've found helpful are:

I've had the best luck using the wired ethernet port on the computer and disabling the wireless (fn F1 - the orange labels).

make sure both the router and the game adapter are using the same SSID (your team number - don't use 'linksys' or who knows what you'll get at a competition)

make sure each device is using different IP addresses

make sure your computer has the address it should (start/run/cmd - type 'ipconfig' is a quick way to check).

when connected directly via a cable from the laptop to the game adapter, access the management interface (by entering the game controller IP address in a web browser) enter the username / password (admin / admin?) and under 'status' check that the game adapter shows it is connected to the correct SSID (the name broadcast by the wireless router - it should be configured to your team number).

While connected to the game adapter when it says it is 'connected' to your correct SSID you should be able to ping back to the router - (start - run type 'cmd' to get a command prompt, type 'ping 10.xx.yy.1' where your team number is xxyy and the router is .1. You should get a response. (not a time out).

Connecting the PC back to the router, you should be able to ping the game adapter to confirm the wireless link. If that works you should be able to ping the CompactRIO device (assuming you've plugged it back in to the game adapter).

If you can ping the game adapter but not the cpRIO, you may have to reset or power cycle the cpRIO. I've found using the cpRIO imaging tool sometimes 'wakes it up' - not actually re-imaging it, but just having it search for it.

Also - make sure your robot battery hasn't gone flat after all this time.

Be patient and keep at it.

If unable to connect to the game controller's management web portal you may have to reset it to factory settings - unplug it, hold in the 'reset button' and keep holding it while reconnecting the power, and keep holding it until the lights flash (I forget the pattern - 20-30 seconds should be adequate) and start over. That should work for the router, too.

Double check the IP addresses again. And again - they are easy to mix up.

Make sure that you get link lights on the ethernet jacks when you connect the cables.

Double check that you don't have any issues with a cross-over cable - although as I recall both the router and game adapter automatically detect and compensate for that.

Make labels to mark each devices address so you can quickly 'ping' each one if you need to do some more troubleshooting later on.

I hope you find this helpful. Good luck!

ch

Comment

i had my dad help me - he's a certified network admin. we are up wirelessly now, bu tI will keep this for reference, bbecause some of the settings we are using are different from the setup. this issue can be closed.

Comment

It happened with me as well. I had to have to wireless router on AP mode all the time. That is the only way the netbook connects to the wireless network. Try it, it may work with you as well.

Comment

Make sure you click on the wireless connections icon in the task bar and connect to the DAP- check the box to connect automatically whenever you're in range of the DAP.

Mike.

Comment

Working...
          X