Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not deploy anymore

Can not deploy anymore:

Something has happened that when the deploy icon is pressed even for an example VI the wait icon comes on for a second and nothing else occurs. We have just come back from a very successful GSR regional and the startup program is working perfectly but nothing can be deployed. We can control the bot via tether or wirelessly and everything works fine, but we can’t deploy anything not even the simple gyro example. My guess is something is broken in LabView. Do I have to reinstall LV or what?
    Thanks in advance. I am optimistic.

Re: Can not deploy anymore

I would guess (and it's only a guess) that the problem is on the robot side. If it were me the first thing I'd want to do is re-load the robot side software, and then see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Can you be more specific about what happens when you try to deploy? Maybe some screenshots?

Greg McKaskle

Comment

There is no way I can get a screen shot because all that happens is the Vista wait icon comes on for less than a second and goes away and everything else stays the same. I don't see any error msg. This problem has persisted since last FRI. I think there was an unusual/unplanned shut down of LV when I was trying to make stand-alone application, that may have occurred just before I got into this situation.
        Keep asking me questions. TNX for the help.

PS: Just discovered that LabView Help won't launch from the "Getting Started Window". No detailed help is available, only the context help is available when working on a VI.
        Last edited by jboette; 03-02-2009, 04:27 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

The next question is about "when the deploy icon is pressed even for an example VI". There is no icon that I can think of that represents deploy. What is it you are clicking on? What are the steps you took, possibly with a screen shot to provide orientation.

Greg McKaskle

Comment

My mistake: the icon I called deploy is the "Run" or "Run Continuously" icon. Same result using either.
            What's the best way for me to make a screen shot.

Comment

Greg:

Attached is a screen shot of the Encoder Example.VI that is supplied with LV. It will not run. There is no action except for a brief pause when the Vista wait icon appears for less than a second when the Run or Run Continuously is pressed. Hope this helps you help me. TNX ... jon
              Attached Files

Comment

If you look in the project, can you connect to the target?

Will it run if you build and deploy the build spec?

Comment

Look in the project window at the cRIO target. The examples default to 0.0.0.0 IP. You need to edit properties and point that to your cRIO's IP first. I can't tell from the screenshot whether this has been done. Then, test out connecting and running.

Greg McKaskle

Comment

I have set the target IP addr to 10.8.85.2 as I have done for the last 8+ weeks. Now it does not work. I think there is something that caused my LV install to go seriously wrong:
                    For example I can't get Help to run from the "Getting Started Window". No detailed help is available, only the context help is available when working on a VI. Why has the detailed Help gone away?

What is the best way to reinstall/reload LV? I "feel" not being knowledgeable about Vista and LV that something has occurred (There have been a number of unplanned shut downs of LV) regarding installed LV files. Trouble shooting over the phone would be a lot more efficient than this method. Too bad the help phone has been terminated!

Comment

If you truly want to repair LV, you go to the control panel for add/remove programs, choose NI LabVIEW, and choose repair. I hope that is enough info as I'm writing this from a Mac and can't give exact directions.

Honestly, I wouldn't treat the help from the Getting Started as a big symptom. Obviously not being able to run a VI is a big deal, but at this point I'm not sure what you are seeing when you run. If you go to the diagram and single step, or turn on hilighting and run the VI, maybe it will help.

Greg McKaskle

Comment

Greg:

When I press run for a simple example like the Encoder Example.VI or Gryo Example.VI the only thing that happens is the Vista wait icon appears for less then a second and then nothing. No error msgs or any other msgs. I turned on the hilighting and got the same results as stated in the first sentence. Remember that there is standalone code loaded into the cRIO before this problem developed that runs perfectly.
                        Tnx for your help. ... jon

Comment

Greg:

Everything is working OK now that I reinstall LV. I think the problem I had was due to a crash. Not much fun to recover from this problem. Any ideas on how to minimize crashing or how recover with less pain?

TNX for your help. ... jon

Comment

The suggested method for repairing the LabView installation should work and be quicker than doing a reinstall. But if it doesn't work, a reinstall may be necessary.

Some applications that work just fine on Windows XP get unexpected hangs or other odd errors under Vista, even if they are supposed to have been updated for Vista. I do not know all the reasons, but they are likely due to underlying differences between the two OS versions, or actual bugs in either the applications or Vista.

I am using MS IE7 as my browser, and IE7 has this symptom on Vista but not on XP. Go figure. This is a ubiquitous Microsoft application running on Microsoft's OS with all of the available "fixes" applied, and it still hangs intermittently, with the only resort being to force it to shut down and then restart it.

It may be that if you want a more stable development environment, you should find a host system that runs Windows XP. I realize that may not be an easy solution to your problem, but it may be the right answer for this year's development work.

Tom

Comment

Tom:

Appreciate your comment.
                              I first tried to just reload LV without removing. No effect that I could tell.
                              Tried repairing with no effect.
                              Finally removed LV and reinstalled and got joy! The whole process took about a good three hours. There must be a simpler way but it is unknown to me.

Although I am not privy to what goes on behind the LV curtain, my "feeling" is that LV is no where bullet proof and I would not use it for a serious application that if it screwed up would result in injury or large damage. Using it in teaching environment or FIRST seems to be a good niche application. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the upgrade to LV and all the resources that NI has donated to FIRST. LV works very well for a mad dash 6 week project with so many uncharacterized components and unknown final performance requirements, and teenagers.

Lastly I/we all got to give FIRST and NI big big credit for so successfully pulling off such a drastic change in HW and SW with a mainly volunteer force!

... jon

Comment

Working...
                              X