No announcement yet.

So, honestly, who's still programming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, honestly, who's still programming?

Hey Everyone,

I had several conversations yesterday with mentors from teams who are either:
    - withholding their controller and a few sensors and actuators from shipment to do further programming work between now and competition
    - planning to program blind (without hardware) and cross their fingers that they can tweak it on compliance day

Being a rookie mentor (though LONGtime LabVIEW programmer) I didn't honestly consider these options as viable.

However, if I can help by producing one or two more LVMastery TipJar videos in the meantime, I would be happy to.

Please reply to this thread if you have a topic in mind.

Thanks,
    Ben

www.LVMastery.com/FRCTipJar

Re: So, honestly, who's still programming?

Ben,

First of all, I want to thank you for your Tip Jar Series. There are many video tutorials on Labview posted on a few locations but they lack the "order" of your efforts.

While I think my team of students has made very good progress, there are a few items which proved stumbling blocks for them and, from my reading of various forums, others.

1. Many students are having difficulties in processing digital I/O, joystick buttons, et cetera. This is particularly true if multiple I/O can affect multiple actuators in anything other than a one to one map (modes of operation).

2. Multiple levels of nested IF statements can be difficult to follow in Labview. Alternate methods to make these constructs easier to read and maintain would be welcome. As an example, use of comparators and binary multipliers to make a number as an input to a case statement (you need to introduce the concepts of binary arithmetic and truth tables).

3. My students used the same constant in many places in their code. This resulted in having to change the value in each place and hope that you got them all when tuning parameters. A tutorial aimed at using a control to make a variable, used in multiple locations, tunable and then how to make it constant when tuning is complete would be most useful.

4. When to open and close in the Open.vi and Finish.vi and when to use the "init" and "stop" cases in a particular mode (emphasis on the effect of enabling and disabling the robot).

5. A more in depth look at shift registers and data dependencies may be useful as well.

6. More of an in depth treatment of watchdog timers including what they are, what they do and when to include them in a block.

Once again, Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

Mike
    Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

We love your tip jar series as well!

Is there any chance of making it available for download? Stuff on the intarweb has an odd tendency to disappear, and frankly your tutorials are a nearly perfect "getting started" guide for new labview programmers. Heck, stick your adverts all through them - you guys certainly deserve it for the nice job you did explaining how to work with the labview default code!

Tom Line

Comment

Our students are still programming. One of our kids just started using state machines thanks to one of your tip jars.

Your work to present this material is very well done and much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
        X