How do you connect a switch to the Digital sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you connect a switch to the Digital sidecar

I can not get a simple switch to work. I thought that you would just put a switch across the Black (ground) and the White (signal)?

I put a Digital Input Open, and then a Get, into the periodic update loop and all I get is an ON state. No matter whether the switch is on or off.

Please advise. Time is running out.

Thanks,
    Nervous Programmer

Re: How do you connect a switch to the Digital sidecar

Originally posted by Robotman View Post
    I can not get a simple switch to work. I thought that you would just put a switch across the Black (ground) and the White (signal)?
    That is a correct way to connect a switch to a Digital I/O pin on the Digital Sidecar.

Double-check that you're selecting the correct input when you open the reference. If you're using a numeric constant instead of the proper enumerated type, you might be off by one from what you think. If this is the case, delete the numeric constant, right-click the input terminal of the Open VI, and choose "create constant". You'll get a menu of pin numbers.

Or it could be a hardware problem. Try measuring the voltage on the Digital I/O pin with a meter, and see if it changes between +5 volts and ground when you activate the switch.

Comment

Thanks.
      I was using the "Simple Digital Input Example" program and it does provide the correct selection of the Digital Input number.

I then checked the voltage as you suggested.
      There was never more than 250mv between any of the three wires, regardless of the switch position.

So, I shut it down and connected a PWM cable to a point and did not attach to any other Digital Inputs. The voltage readings were the same 250mv.

I would have expected 5v between the black and the red wires when nothing is attached.

The servos and motors that are attached to the PWM pins all work fine.

Is there a fuse, or something, that is specific to the Digital IO?

There is one thing that was suggested in an earlier post. That was to exchange devices and the cable between the sidecar and the 9403.

I exchanged hardware but I don't currently have the second cable. Could there be a problem in the cable?

Comment

The 5V supply will shutdown if it detects a short circuit (or very heavy load) on its output. There is an LED that indicates this near the power input. What does it say?

Comment

Working...
        X