Being Prepared at the Competitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Prepared at the Competitions

It appears that Labview will allow users to modify virtual instruments that they should not be modifying. If we have a team with issues and suspect that this has occurred:

1. Can update 3.0a be reinstalled over itself on the team's laptop and then have them reflash the cRIO?
    2. If (1) is true, will this restore all user modifiable VIs?
    3. If (1) is false, is there a de-install for the update only?
    4. If (2) or (3) is false, do we need to require teams to bring their installation disks or will someone at a regional have a set of disks that can be used?
    5. If a team has to do a complete reinstall for any reason, is there a file that can be archived prior to this action which has their activation codes (most regionals will not have internet access for teams) or do we need to require teams to bring an archive of their activation e-mail?
    6. I think you see where I am going with this... Could I (or FIRST) make a backup disk of VIs which could be copied over onto the proper directories which would restore VIs without harming the NI installation?

Lastly, does C++ have this issue?

Regards,

Mike
    Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Re: Being Prepared at the Competitions

Originally posted by Mike Betts View Post
    It appears that Labview will allow users to modify virtual instruments that they should not be modifying. If we have a team with issues and suspect that this has occurred:
    Teams were given more then enough rope to hang themselves with, but I think that was on purpose. The really important things (network communication, disable, etc) are handled in a way that the user can't modify them (either by having the code precompiled and referenced through the call library function, having the libraries password protected, or by having the features implemented in the FPGA, which the user doesn't have access to them).

FIRST touted the library as open source, and locking it down to "protect" teams wouldn't be in that spirit.

1. Can update 3.0a be reinstalled over itself on the team's laptop and then have them reflash the cRIO?
    2. If (1) is true, will this restore all user modifiable VIs?
    3. If (1) is false, is there a de-install for the update only?
    One of the beta teams went through this. You can't just install the update on top of the update (it will tell you that the update is already installed). However, if you unzip the update and run Products\FRC\FRC_features\FRC_features.msi, it will give you the option to repair the installation, which will overwrite the changed VIs.

5. If a team has to do a complete reinstall for any reason, is there a file that can be archived prior to this action which has their activation codes (most regionals will not have internet access for teams) or do we need to require teams to bring an archive of their activation e-mail?
    You can run LabVIEW for 30 days without activating it, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can also activate over the phone (assuming the team brought their serial number)

6. I think you see where I am going with this... Could I (or FIRST) make a backup disk of VIs which could be copied over onto the proper directories which would restore VIs without harming the NI installation?
    I would think so, replacing the libraries in vi.lib\Robotics Library, but I think one of the NI people would know for sure.

Lastly, does C++ have this issue?
    C++ gives you just as much rope. It should be easy to replace the source and recompile. I think there might be more of an issue with activation though.
    Team 330 beta tester

Comment

Re: Being Prepared at the Competitions

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. However, I am hoping to get FIRST to address these issues on a systematic basis.

If teams need to bring disks or serial numbers, it should be in a Team Update.

Also, while I agree with the philosophy of giving a person enough rope, we want to be sure that each and every team has a quality experience at our events. That is hard to do if your robot will not operate.

Besides, Connecticut outlawed hanging back in 1937...

Regards,

Mike
      Mike Betts

Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010

As easy as 355/113...

Comment

Working...
      X