Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New gyro vi's in latest update

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New gyro vi's in latest update

    I have just been looking at the new Gyro Open vi that was installed with the latest update. I no longer see "offset". What has happened to this value and has this change also been made in C++?

  • #2
    Re: New gyro vi's in latest update

    I have studied the new gyro vi's some more and find that a number of the sub vi's have been significantly changed. Now my gyro code will no longer work. I had previously modified slightly the open gyro so that I could additionally write a sub vi to refresh the gyro offset value while it was in disable mode. This requires the accumulator value and count. Now you no longer output the count and don't even use the separate gyro offset value.

    I don't understand why all these changes were made--please explain. If possible I would like to be in touch directly with the people who are writing the gyro code as I would like to have some input into what they are doing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New gyro vi's in latest update

      Have you looked at the new VIs in the advanced and accumulator pallets (underneath the analog channel). I don't think any of the functionality is gone, just the API has changed.
      Team 330 beta tester

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New gyro vi's in latest update

        Originally posted by 365Lucie View Post
        I have just been looking at the new Gyro Open vi that was installed with the latest update. I no longer see "offset". What has happened to this value and has this change also been made in C++?
        You are correct... the offset is no longer used. That offset that you are referring to was simply the assumed rounding error in setting the "Center Value" and is well below the noise threshold. It is a technique used when your center value is low resolution. That is not the case here. With 10-bit oversampling, the resolution of the center value is 20-bit. C++ probably still uses it, but it's negligible.

        Originally posted by 365Lucie View Post
        I have studied the new gyro vi's some more and find that a number of the sub vi's have been significantly changed. Now my gyro code will no longer work. I had previously modified slightly the open gyro so that I could additionally write a sub vi to refresh the gyro offset value while it was in disable mode. This requires the accumulator value and count. Now you no longer output the count and don't even use the separate gyro offset value.
        You should not be changing the offset, you should be changing the Center Value.

        Originally posted by 365Lucie View Post
        I don't understand why all these changes were made--please explain. If possible I would like to be in touch directly with the people who are writing the gyro code as I would like to have some input into what they are doing.
        The reason for the changes is simple... the Gyro API uses the accumulator hardware. The Accumualtor API was incomplete (as of Update 2). Instead of duplicating all of the accumulation code in the Accumulator API, the code was moved into the Accumulator API, which the Gyro API now uses. The Gyro now only has the bits of code that are above and beyond the accumulation, as it should be.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New gyro vi's in latest update

          Thanks for the information. My original intent was, in fact, to update the center value but it appeared to be at least more difficult, if not impossible, to do whereas the extra offset correction proved to be easy to work with and an effective way to ultimately adjust the center value (plus keep what, if any, added benefit there was from the additional resolution).

          I will study the new code some more and see if I can figure out how to work with it. At the present I don't, however see the reason for converting the accumulator numbers to volts and seconds just to convert back to get the center value. It would seem more reasonable and accurate to use the raw integer value and count from the analog accumulator.

          I personally prefer to work with the raw values anyway and leave any desired conversion until the end (in this case they could be in the gyro vi's). This is also true for the analog ports on the driver station which you have only offered in volts. The raw value is useful and for most (if not all) of our applications would be preferred.

          Comment

          Working...
          X