Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! from a team beta tester.

Hey.

My name is Phil Malone, and I'm a mentor for Team 1629. GaCo (The Garrett Coalition) was selected to be one of the beta teams, and we've been working hard for the last two weeks, going step by step though the proposed KOP and documentation, finding out what works and what doesn't.

It's been quite a challenge because we started out with very preliminary versions of hardware and software, and we've been finding some old bugs that have already been fixed, and some new ones that will need to be fixed so everyone's not spinning their wheels when the controller becomes generaly available.

My focus has been on getting to the point where we can really start getting to know how LabVIEW works with the new controller. My background is as a C, C++ programmer, so you might wonder why I want to use LabVIEW.

NI might not like me saying this, but to me (as a programmer) C++ is the BMW of languages, but we all know not everyone drives a BMW. Likewise, I think most Engineers and Scientists aren't likely to use C++ on a day-day basis, so it's more likely that when they have to program some equipment or experiment in the future, they may end up using LabVIEW.

So on a purely "quantity" viewpoint it seemed important that I "learn a new trick" and then try to pass on good programming habits to all the potential future Engineers and Scientists out there.

So if you have any generic "2009 controller" questions, or more specific LabVIEW Software questions I'll attempt to answer them for you. What's more likely is that you'll have a question that I'll have to do some experimenttation or research to find an answer for.

If it's a pure LabVIEW question, then you'll probably be better of asking NI support directly, but if it relates to FRC, then give me a try and I'll see what I can do.

Remember, I'm not an expert, I just have a few weeks more experince more than you do, but I'm also integrating the controller into our 2007 Rack 'n Roll robot so I have a test platform.

Phil.

Re: Hey! from a team beta tester.

Originally posted by Philbot View Post
    If it's a pure LabVIEW question, then you'll probably be better of asking NI support directly, but if it relates to FRC, then give me a try and I'll see what I can do.
    Just FYI, there are also National Instruments folks monitoring this forum specifically for handling Beta Team questions/problems/issues and also for handling quality control on this forum (making sure answers are accurate and complete). So, if there are any LabVIEW related questions about the new control system, this is definitely the place to post them!

-Danny
    Danny Diaz
    National Instruments
    LabVIEW Real-Time Core

Comment

Maybe C++ is like a BMW, But I prefer my Cadillac. Give Labview a try.
      "Try it, you'll like it"

... Try a Cadillac too.

mike in Dettroit

Comment

Does the controller come with a copy of LabVIEW?
        Multiple copies?
        What version?

Will I be able to download LabVIEW before Jan. 3rd so that my team can learn it?

Are there any good links for information on this that, maybe, I haven't found yet?

Thanks
        Brad

Comment

Originally posted by monticm View Post
          Maybe C++ is like a BMW, But I prefer my Cadillac. mike in Dettroit
          As an Aussie now living in the USA, I didn't know how to spell Cadillac

Comment

Originally posted by BradFerg View Post
            Does the controller come with a copy of LabVIEW?
            Multiple copies?
            What version?

Will I be able to download LabVIEW before Jan. 3rd so that my team can learn it?

Are there any good links for information on this that, maybe, I haven't found yet?

Thanks
            Brad
            Our Beta "Kit Of Parts" came with a VERY complete installation of LabVIEW 8.5.1 and various other real time modules.

I found the page below to be a very good "getting Started" tutorial. You can just watch the videos or you can work through the tutorials. There is a link on the page to download LabVIEW.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7466

Comment

How many seats did the labview license allow you to install?

OH... and PS to the Beta teams. It's been 31 days since the kits were shipped to you. Get posting already! Us non-betas are dieing from lack of information!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Line View Post
                See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=93
                Team 330 beta tester

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Line View Post
                  This link allows anyone to download LabView and gives a one year plus license.
                  http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc....aspx?id=10934

Comment

Thanks Jross!

Regarding the [email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#, downloadable labview that NI is allowing folks to download, it was posted on Chiefdelphi that the FIRST version of labview will install overtop of the [email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]#, downloadable version - i.e. they are different (I assume the NI download doesn't have all the pertinent first libraries?).

P.S. - The word I tried to type above was F-R-E-E. Someone may want to check their filters... they seem a bit touchy.

Comment

No one from my team can get their activation codes to work. We sent an e-mail to support on the first day and still no replies.

Anyone else have an issue?

Dave
                      FRC Coach
                      Team 1756
                      Dave
                      FRC Coach
                      Team 1756

Comment

Originally posted by drwisley View Post
                        No one from my team can get their activation codes to work. We sent an e-mail to support on the first day and still no replies.
                        Team 1756
                        Can you tell us what steps you are using, at what point the process breaks down and what the error message is?

Comment

Originally posted by drwisley View Post

Anyone else have an issue?

Dave
                          FRC Coach
                          Team 1756
                          Did you remove the .txt extension that most browsers want to append from the license file? (see below)

From the NI website:

Step 1: put this license file in the following folder on your computer:
                          C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses
                          Make sure the license file is saved with a .lic extention (most browsers will try to save it as a .txt)

Comment

Thanks Charles! The file on my laptop ended up as *.lic.txt

Dave
                            FRC Coach
                            Team 1756
                            Last edited by drwisley; 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM.
                            Dave
                            FRC Coach
                            Team 1756

Comment

Working...
                            X