Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumpers?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bumpers?!

    Bumpers have to be between 2 and 10 inches.
    What if your frame is above those dimensions because of the wheels?
    I understand you still need the bumpers, but can you put them under the frame or is this a total no can do?

  • #2
    Re: Bumpers?!

    I was looking for the limitation on bumper height from the floor. I don't see it in the manual. Is the 2-10 your speaking of the height to the bottom of the bumper?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bumpers?!

      Originally posted by Jessika View Post
      Bumpers have to be between 2 and 10 inches.
      What if your frame is above those dimensions because of the wheels?
      I understand you still need the bumpers, but can you put them under the frame or is this a total no can do?
      R29 tells where the bumpers must be located (bumper zone) and R01-2 defines bumper zone; you are correct they must be between 2-10 inches from the floor (so "arthur canada", that's partially the answer to your question). R33 tells you how the bumpers must be supported; I'm not sure what "under the frame" means but I'm guessing the answer is going to be "no".
      Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
      KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bumpers?!

        The bumpers must be in the bumper zone, and they must connect to the frame perimeter. I don't know of a rule that says you can't also have another perimeter, more than 10" off the ground. You just need (a second?) one in the bumper zone to hook the bumpers to. You might be able to use vertical connections, but you have to support the frame with no gap larger than 7".

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bumpers?!

          Originally posted by RSaunders View Post
          The bumpers must be in the bumper zone, and they must connect to the frame perimeter. I don't know of a rule that says you can't also have another perimeter, more than 10" off the ground. You just need (a second?) one in the bumper zone to hook the bumpers to. You might be able to use vertical connections, but you have to support the frame with no gap larger than 7".
          R33 - You get an 8" gap max; give yourself an extra inch. Make sure the bumpers are supported throughout their entire height, too. Also be sure you meet R29.

          Jessika, you *want* your bumpers where everyone else's are, and you want them supported very well. 280+ pounds of robots running into each other can cause some damage; you don't want someone else's bumpers running into your electronics because your bumpers are too high.
          Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
          KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bumpers?!

            Here is my Questions. R29 defines that the bumpers must remain within the BUMPER ZONE while the robot is on a flat surface and in NORMAL operating configuration("standing normally"). What if your design causes the robot to raise as a result of adjusting the wheel configuration, but is only in this RAISED configuration while crossing the barrier?

            I understand that the process of crossing the bridge will inherently adjust the height of the bumpers in relation to the ground, but my question is should a robot have articulated wheels, which are only to be used while crossing the barrier, then is that in line with R29? The ambiguity comes with the "standing normally" verbiage that suggests there can also be a configuration "NOT standing normally", whereby the robot is assigning a new configuration just prior to crossing the barrier, and is then immediately returned to its' normal drive configuration. Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bumpers?!

              Originally posted by ericpalmatier View Post
              What if your design causes the robot to raise as a result of adjusting the wheel configuration, but is only in this RAISED configuration while crossing the barrier?
              I believe that the most recent clarification is pretty clear that this would be a penalty.

              I think that it is ok for the bumpers to not meet this when it is not on the flat floor, as long as if it were on flat floor, it would meet it.

              Further, I think it would be alright for an appendage to press against the barrier and thus lift one end of the robot, but that question might be better asked as an official question.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bumpers?!

                On a similar note to jessika, we have some issues with bumper placement. Our question goes something like this:

                If the top of the bumper is rigidly mounted up to an inch below the bottom of the frame by way of metal brackets, nuts, and bolts, does this meet the requirements outlined by [R33] and [R27] for attachment of the bumpers? In this situation, the bumper would be within the designated “bumper zone,” mounted to the brackets, which are directly bolted to the frame.

                Thoughts?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bumpers?!

                  Bumpers between 8 and 9 inches work fine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have also tried the 9 inches bumper and it is working great for me

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X