Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jaguar Firmware: Version 89

Hi all,

There are new versions of Jaguar firmware, Black Jaguar firmware, and BDC-COMM on www.luminarymicro.com/jaguar.

The new files are:

Jaguar-89.bin
    BlackJaguar-89.bin
    bdc-comm-89.exe

Version 89 fixes a bug we found with the (Gray) Jaguar.

On extremely rare occasions the Jaguar ID would reset back to 1 on power up.

When powering up, the Jaguar reads the state of the user button. If pressed the Jaguar blinks red/green for 5 seconds and resets to factory defaults (ID = 1).

In the original firmware, the digital input is enabled, configured, and sampled back-to-back. The time it takes for the internal pull-up to bring the input line high (not pressed) can sometimes take longer than the enable-config-sample time, resulting in a false "pressed" reading and a reset ID. We added a delay that will ensure the user switch input is stable before sampling. We have only seen this problem in 3 or 4 Jaguars. For the majority of Jaguars, this rise time is fast enough. Slight variations in the electrical conditions of your system can change this time, and in the extreme case, cause an ID reset.

You will not notice the delay on start-up, it is on the order of a hundred microseconds.
    Last edited by dyanoshak; 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM.

Re: New Jaguar Firmware: Version 89

Thank you for the update.

We have two that are exhibiting this behavior. I was just about ready to do an RMA request.

Comment

Although your mileage may vary, our team seems to have hit this problem when one of us installed coast/brake jumpers when he couldn't immediately work out how to accomplish setting coast mode in software. We had four (of four) that were reset and then wouldn't accept an ID until we removed the jumpers. Given that this can disable a 'bot, I'd reccomend taking this update, just to make sure! If some team was sending commands to ID 1, I suppose this could do worse than just disabling some of the motors.

Allen

Comment

Originally posted by nuttle View Post
        Although your mileage may vary, our team seems to have hit this problem when one of us installed coast/brake jumpers when he couldn't immediately work out how to accomplish setting coast mode in software. We had four (of four) that were reset and then wouldn't accept an ID until we removed the jumpers. Given that this can disable a 'bot, I'd reccomend taking this update, just to make sure! If some team was sending commands to ID 1, I suppose this could do worse than just disabling some of the motors.

Allen
        Could you elaborate a little bit about what you saw? This is how I understood it:

You had 4 Jaguars with unique IDs. You were playing with setting brake/coast in software, so you removed the brake/coast jumpers on all 4 Jags. You then replaced the jumpers when you could not figure out the software brake/coast. Then, at some point, the Jags reset to ID 1. All four were on the bus and you could not assign an ID until removing the Brake/Coast jumper.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted. Also, when you saw the ID assign issue and removed the brake/coast jumpers, had you already updated to version 89 firmware?

I have noticed on my own team's bot that having duplicate IDs can cause some very unusual behavior on the cRIO. It is best to assign unique IDs before connecting your bus to the cRIO and running code.

Thanks for your feedback!

-David

Comment

Four Jaguars, with IDs 2 - 5, assigned via the serial adapter while connected to a PC (we have a single Black Jag at the head of the chain, ID 9). All were running version 87, none had any coast/brake jumper.

Everything was fine (we use a 2CAN to connect to the cRIO and there is a terminator at the end of the string). Then, one team member added jumpers for coast to all four of the drive Jags. These Jags all reset to ID 1 shortly thereafter. This did cause issues for the cRIO and, of course, the robot would not respond. The PC confirmed all had been reset and we had difficulty assigning IDs for a good while (the assignment would not take, the IDs remained at 1). We pulled the jumpers and things got back to normal. We have since upgraded to version 89 everywhere.

As an aside, these are really nice controllers. Last year, we built a custom circuit to read six encoders into the cRIO, four of these were four traction control, which worked really well for us. This year, we can plug encoders directly into the Jags!

Best,

Allen

Comment

Working...
          X