Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect a sensor with USB/rs232 interface to CRIO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin O'Connor
    replied
    Re: How to connect a sensor with USB/rs232 interface to CRIO?

There is only on serial port available on the cRIO. To use multiple serial devices you would need to come up with some innovative solution for sharing the single port. The only types of cRIO modules supported for FRC are the three types provided in the Kit of Parts: NI 9201, NI 9403, and NI 9472.

Leave a comment:

• qpang
    replied

Thank you very much Kevin!
    I'm also wondering how to connect the serial port physically - it seems that there is a serial port on compact CRIO on one end right next to power/reset. Is that the port we should use to connect a serial cable to the sensor?
    In case there are more than one sensor with serial port, it seems that we need a serial interface module (please correct me if I'm wrong)? In the kit, I believe there no such module, so do you have any suggestion on which module we should get?
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin O'Connor
    replied

I don't believe we have any cRIO serial port examples currently included with the FRC LabVIEW package. The VIs to work with the serial port are located in the WPI Robotics Library palette, under Communications->Serial Port

Leave a comment:

• How to connect a sensor with USB/rs232 interface to CRIO?

Hi, I'm a volunteer mentor helping on software (labview) programming.

Our mechanical team is thinking about using extra range finder/camera which has USB or RS232 interface. I have two questions:

1) Are we allowed to use range finder and camera other than the EZ1 and Axis camera in the kit?

2) If yes, how to connect a device with USB or RS232 interface to CRIO and are there example code to handle the communication between CRIO and those device through USB or RS232?

Thank you!
Working...
X