Robot Signal Light wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot Signal Light wiring

how do we connect the robot signal light? In the electronics diagrams we have seen, the RSL is shown connected to the 2-pin port on the Digital Sidecar labeled "RSL". Makes sense, right? But how do we connect it? The WAGO connectors don't really fit, and the smaller 2-pin jumper connectors seem really small. Do we use 18-gauge wire and a WAGO or something else?

This isn't really critical for our build, but we really have no idea and could use any input people would have, even if it's just some general thoughts on the problem.

Re: Robot Signal Light wiring

The Robot Signal Light header on the Digital Sidecar is not designed for and will not work well with any of the Wago connectors provided in the Kit of Parts.

The connector on the Digital Sidecar for the Robot Signal Light is a Molex Series 6373 header. The Molex female connectors that mate with that header are series 2695, 6471, 7880, 4455 and 7720. Molex part number 22-01-2025 is one of the 6471 series housings that will mate with that header when used with a 4809 series crimp terminal housing such as part number 08-50-0136. Searching these part numbers should turn up a large number of electronics vendors who carry the parts. This will result in the most robust, reliable connection between the Digital Sidecar and Robot Signal Light.

The two pin cables you reference do use a very small gauge wire that can very easily slip out of the connector on the Robot Signal Light, if you use the two-pin connector to connect to the Digital Sidecar you will likely want to solder the two wires to a more appropriate gauge before connecting to the RSL.
    FIRST®
    FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

We have typically used a 3 wire PWM cable, and just have one side hang off the end.
      Team 330 beta tester

Comment

Forgive me if I seem incompetent, but when I searched those parts, all the connectors were six-pin connectors, but the header on the Digital Sidecar has only two pins. I'm looking at the right header, right? It's lableled "RSL" with a + and - terminals. The electronics diagram provided by FIRST shows the RSL in that port. The female connectos you listed seem to have too many pins, and wouldn't seem to fit in the small space on the Digital Sidecar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_De View Post
          Forgive me if I seem incompetent, but when I searched those parts, all the connectors were six-pin connectors, but the header on the Digital Sidecar has only two pins. I'm looking at the right header, right? It's lableled "RSL" with a + and - terminals. The electronics diagram provided by FIRST shows the RSL in that port. The female connectos you listed seem to have too many pins, and wouldn't seem to fit in the small space on the Digital Sidecar.
          I searched for 22-01-2025 on google at it took me to mouser, which showed a 6 pin connector, but then in the fine print said the image doesn't represent the actual product, and to look at the product specs. The product specs said 2 pin. Digikey shows the 2 pin picture. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...rds=22-01-2025
          Team 330 beta tester

Comment

You are looking at the correct header on the board. As Joe alluded to, many sites (including the Molex site itself) use a stock picture for all connectors of a particular series which is typically a 6 or 8 pin connector.

The alternative Joe mentioned of using a PWM cable and overhanging one pin is also a solution that many teams use as they have the parts already on hand.
            FIRST®
            FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

We've already tried one of the jumpers and it didn't work at all. I don't think a PWM cable would be much different. We'll probably go with the MOLEX connector.

Comment

We ended up going with a PWM cable, and stripping off the third wire. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I have a problem- I am using one of these PWM cables, ive got it wired up, but this guy who is helping our rookie team says that one of the pegs needs to be grounded, both are giving off 12 volts. How do I do this? or is it suposed to be like this?

Comment

You only wire the RSL to the two pins on the RSL header on the Digital Sidecar. No separate wiring or grounding is necessary.

The small green LED next to the RSL header should mimic the behavior of the Robot Signal light. Are both pins measuring a constant 12V relative to battery ground even when this LED is flashing? Is the RSL working?
                    FIRST®
                    FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Take a PWM cable, plug one end into the RSL Header, cut the other end off, strip the same two wires you pugged into the header, put the one from the (+) terminal of the header into the La terminal of the light, and the one from the (-) terminal of the header into the N terminal of the light. We also reccomend pulling the odd wire off the PWM cable and cutting it just after the connector at the Digital Sidecar.

Comment

No the light is not working. Is there a problem with either pieces of hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by owlman View Post
                          No the light is not working. Is there a problem with either pieces of hardware?
                          If the Green LED next to the RSL header is not working that's the place to start, so you can unplug the larger orange light for now.

Is the rest of your Digital Sidecar working? If not have you reworked your DB37 cable? Are all 3 power LEDs on the Digital Sidecar brightly lit?
                          FIRST®
                          FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Yeah, all the power LEDS are on, and only the jaguars are working from the sidecar. If we rework the twisted cable, that should fix it. Would the Spikes also work if we do that?

Im also curious, how does the twisted wire affect anything? it seems like it shouldnt. How does it work?

Comment

The parallel port on the digital sidecar only fits in one way. The twisted cable was installed backwards on only one end, which resulted pin 1 from the cRIO to become output pin 13, input pin 2 to become output pin 12, etc. Essentially the signal the sidecar receives is reversed.

Comment

Working...
                              X