2011 Emulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Emulator

Is there any 2011 emulator software yet?

Re: 2011 Emulator

Originally posted by AnimeAddict View Post
    Is there any 2011 emulator software yet?
    Yes, but... It is still being completed.

When I'm not shivering in a no-electricity Northern VA house as I look out at a foot of snow on my 800' uphill driveway, I (and the rest of the folks) are turning the crank to get this year's initial release out to you.

David Dobbs in Northern VA (who is about to get to enjoy a trip to lovely Groton Connecticut to keep the US' submarine fleet's software in top notch shape) has been creating the physics for robots that have jointed arms (that is new this year) (initially just 1 joint).

Deric Swanson in Marietta, GA, has been creating graphics models for us.

Alan Burley in California is working on a good looking Field Model.

I (in Manassas) have been working on the Human Player and need to get to Penalties (another new item this year) (Pinning will be tough to assess, and not penalizing bots that get pushed by opponents into penalty areas will be tough also).

Jim Rundquist in Marietta, GA, is working on detecting properly hung tubes, tracking that they were hung (in case they fall off), and then computing the scores.

Plus there are a million little things to do and update.

Keep an eye on this forum and Chief Delphi (I plan to start a thread there this weekend); and keep holding our feet to the fire (in a good way). We want to get the 2011 Simulator out ASAP.

Blake
    A Triangle Fraternity member and a 5th Gear programmer
    Thank You! to Lockheed Martin for their very generous support of 5th Gear, and FIRST/Vex Robotics!

Comment

While preparing for the 2011 FRC FIRST Team 3005 created the attached concept paper describing how driver simulations and virtual tournaments would be a valuable tool for FIRST teams. (We obviously did not do enough research or we would have discovered 5th Gear.) How could we help?
      Attached Files
      Dale Rylander, Mentor
      FIRST Team 3005
      STEM Academy - Conrad HS (DISD)

Comment

Folks,

Go here (WPI's Think Tank pages) now for the initial 2011 5th Gear release: http://thinktank.wpi.edu/article/141

Once again - A BIG THANK YOU to WPI for their generous donation of downloading services that complement our LM download site.

Ignore the "2010" in the Think Tank page title (we need to change it from 2010 to 2011).

Please take notes on bugs you find, but also please give us a chance to post a list of known bugs (soon) before we fill this thread with duplicates. Once we put up our list, if you have more bugs/requests to add, then please do post them here. We expect a modest number of those reports. Like you guys & gals building the robots, we very nearly have to ship/release as soon as we finish coding and modeling; so our testing plans often get the short end of the stick...

Enjoy!

Blake
        PS: If you want to tell us you like 5th Gear; or especially if your team thinks it is a useful strategy/planning tool, or is a useful practice tool for drivers, coaches, and/or scouts; you have my permission to post those messages any time - no need to wait!
        Thank You! to Lockheed Martin for their very generous support of 5th Gear, and FIRST/Vex Robotics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rangel(kf7fdb)
          Hey I installed 5th gear, installed the latest drivers and whenever I try to start a server, the game crashes and asks me to install the latest drivers and they are the latest.
          You don't always want the latest drivers the OEMs (Microsoft, Nvidia, etc.) produced - You do want the "latest" drivers 5th Gear expects. Let's see if that is the cause of your symptom.

I/we are using:

.Net 3.5 SP1. You can get it from here:
          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

DirectX 9.0c. You can get it from here:
          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-50ceb6d8fa8d

You need to use XNA 3.1. You can get it (actually you an MS installer package) from here:
          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-98eb3e799ef2

You need to use Nvidia PhysX 9.10.0513. You can get it from here:
          http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9...13-driver.html

Xbox controller (we use WIRED, not wireless, controllers) drivers are found here: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...ategory=gaming
          We have not tested using wireless controllers.

Notice that (for example) .Net 3.5 SP1 isn't the latest .Net version Microsoft offers. If you use later or earlier versions, you are diverging from what we develop on. Later versions of it (or of any of the other pre-reqs) should offer "backward" compatability, but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it.

Let us/me know how this stacks up against what is in your computer and/or what happens if you switch to using exactly what I listed above.

Blake

Comment

Originally posted by DryLander View Post
            While preparing for the 2011 FRC FIRST Team 3005 created the attached concept paper describing how driver simulations and virtual tournaments would be a valuable tool for FIRST teams. (We obviously did not do enough research or we would have discovered 5th Gear.) How could we help?
            Now that we have gotten an initial release of Logomotion 5th Gear produced, maybe we can find a some time to discuss collaborating with you. The easiest path might be for you and we to agree on an interface that lets you develop a chunk of code that improves 5th Gear; but that keeps us both independent enough to create a clean boundary and make parallel development "easy".

Maybe something like a framework for full-featured Drivers Stations that take in the data that a real drivers station normally sends to a robot, but instead sends those data to 5th Gear? There would be some compromises; but a lot of realism could get added to team's practice sessions.

Another alternaive that has come up in the past would be supplying an API that looks like the software environment in a cRIO, but that instead passes everything to/from 5th Gear. Robot application code could be tested by compiling it "against" the fake cRIO-API, and then using it in a 5th Gear Session.

Another alternative is creating realistic sensor outputs when given perfect knowledge of the field's and robots' states. You would take that perfect knowledge, fudge it up into fake sensor data, and teams would use it to develop autonomous code prototypes.

Or...

Blake

Comment

NOTE TO EVERYONE INSTALLING:

If you are using the installation instruction linked on the WPI Think Tank page, the link to the XNA redistributable in the document is the WRONG version. 5th Gear needs the 3.1 XNA redistributable and the 3.0 redistributable is the one linked in the document. The link for the correct XNA redistributable is in my earlier message in this forum.

Sorry for the confusion - We will revise the instructions.

Comment

Working...
              X