Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Gear Error

When I try to run 5th Gear I get an error saying:
    Unhandled Exception: Texture width or height is larger than the device supports.

Parameter: width
    CORE 2062
    6 Safety Awards and Counting

Re: 5th Gear Error

I got that same error

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. A couple of quick questions to help us debug the issue:

What video card do you have? What drivers are you running? (If you run "dxdiag", what's the "Device Name" and driver version listed on the Display tab?)

When do you get the error? Immediately on startup? Does the opening video clip play? Do you see the FIRST competition logos? After trying to actually start the game?

Thanks,

-David
      Last edited by David Dobbs; 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM. Reason: Additional question

Comment

Originally posted by David Dobbs View Post
        Thanks for letting us know. A couple of quick questions to help us debug the issue:

What video card do you have? What drivers are you running? (If you run "dxdiag", what's the "Device Name" and driver version listed on the Display tab?)

When do you get the error? Immediately on startup? Does the opening video clip play? Do you see the FIRST competition logos? After trying to actually start the game?

Thanks,

-David
        Hello David,

i am using a school computer that receives the same error.
        the video card is a intel(R) GMA 3100
        i get this error when i click on the 5th gear program.
        Can you help me immediately
        thanks alot!

Comment

Hmm...it looks like the problem may be that one of the logos we're using is too large. We should have that fixed the next time we patch. In the meanwhile, you can try this:

Download the attached .zip file
          From the Start menu, pick Search.
          Look for a file named FRC2009_Breakaway.xnb (it should be in c:\documents and settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Apps\<several more folders> on windows XP; if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7, it'll be in a slightly different location) - you'll probably have to check "search hidden folders" to find it.
          This file should be in two different locations - replace BOTH copies of the file with the version inside the .zip file attached to this post.

Try that, and let me know if it works or you're still having problems!

-David
          Attached Files

Comment

hi again david,

I followed your instructions and only found the file in one location.
            It still doesn't work.
            The same error occurs

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you do a search for files named 5thGear*.log, you should find several down that same path - can you zip them up and upload them? They may help me figure out exactly where the error is occuring.

Comment

i followed your recent instructions and it worked for the 6 computers
                when i tried to run it on the last ccomputer, it gave me a message saying,
                " unhandled exceptions: the specified module cannot be found. (exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

If you can message me immediately, that would be awesome
                thx!~

Comment

Glad to hear that the smaller texture worked - we'll incorporate that into an upcoming patch.

Your new error is another one we haven't seen before - can you zip up the log files (see my previous message) and post them?

-David

Comment

I am getting the same error, and a cursory glance at Google for the error string seems to be an XNA issue of some sort.
                    System information:
                    OS: Windows Seven Home Premium in a dual boot, relatively clean configuration.
                    Graphics: Intel GMA 945 integrated, driving external monitor set to main, resolution 1680*1050

I am about to try replacing the files attached above, and will report back.

Comment

Further developments: Replacing the FRC2009_Breakaway.xnb files does enable it to run, but server mode will cause an unhandled exception and forced exit. Using field viewer in Breakaway will result in the same result, but Lunacy looks beautiful. Filed Viewer Overdrive will also trigger an unhandled exception.
                      Last edited by macq700; 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM. Reason: More debug data.

Comment

yes the same problem after getting it to turn on. Running Windows Vista.
                        Please let us know if there is a solution! My team really wants to get this running.
                        Thanks
                        -Elie

Comment

Originally posted by ligerbots View Post
                          yes the same problem after getting it to turn on. Running Windows Vista.
                          Please let us know if there is a solution! My team really wants to get this running.
                          Thanks
                          -Elie
                          We really want you to get running too!

David Dobbs is taking point on fixing this; but here are a couple of thoughts from me.

Other groups are running the simulator successfully. That doesn't necessarily mean that you are doing something wrong; but it does mean that trying a different suite of computers might get you up and running while we track down this bug.

All computer configurations are not alike by any stretch of the imagination. Using different configurations can get you different OS patch levels, different device drivers, different graphics cards, etc.

Are you 100% sure that you are using the latest version of each of these: DirectX, XNA, .Net and PhysX?

Also, you should supply the log files and other information that David identified in previous bug hunts. Getting into the habit of supplying these initially instead of after a back and forth exchange through the forum is a good habit to form now. It will pay off later in your school and professional careers.

So, Bottom line: While we continue the bug hunt (using info from you), try computers that are configured differently from the ones having trouble and see if that gives you a work-around for now.

Can do? Let us know what happens.

Blake
                          A Triangle Fraternity member and a 5th Gear programmer
                          Thank You! to Lockheed Martin for their very generous support of 5th Gear, and FIRST/Vex Robotics!

Comment

Logs attached. Giving it full admin permissions and setting compatibility to XP SP2 did not work.
                            I will try to install it on a different laptop during the meeting today.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by macq700; 02-04-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the log files - I'll take a look and let you know if we figure something out.

-David

Comment

Working...
                              X