BoM Format Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoM Format Standard

I noticed that the <R89> requires the submission of a Electronis BoM to the Robot Inspector.
    <R89> "At the time of inspection, teams must submit an electronic copy of their Bill Of Materials
    (BOM) of all items used in the construction of their ROBOT, and their associated costs, to
    the inspector (see Rule <R21>). BOMs must be transferred to inspectors at the event via
    USB drive (inspector or team provided).
    "

I have used a google docs for a few years now to manage build cost and ordering as well as create the BoM for inspections. The excel template provided by First as an example does not really suit mu teams needs. Does anyone else have a format that they like or just have comments about how to improve the layout that I have? Here is the link 2010 BoM 3213
    Last edited by Kevin Horn; 01-18-2010, 02:44 AM. Reason: italicize quote

Re: BoM Format Standard

Hi Kevin,

Do you mind sharing a sample of your Google doc? We are experimenting with using Google Docs for our needs as it seems a great platform for sharing data with the whole team.

Peter

Comment

Peter,
      I am happy to share,
      Parts lists are an essential component of the design process. In the previous post I linked to the sheet so I assume you are just asking if it is OK with me to use the data. Just in case here is the link again to the google spreadsheet. (Sorry for the clutter I have a rookie team this year.

And here is a copy of the First formatted .xls spreadsheet similar to what we provided for teams attending the Autodesk Portland Regional.

Since standards are an importaint part of engineering and technology it would be good to work toward a standard for the way that we enter non KoP items into the BoM.
      Also I feel that FIRST needs to provide a KoP spreadsheet at kickoff that uses the BoM format and has all of the appropriate fields filled in. The blank template provided by FIRST this year poses a problem for robot inspectors in that of the nominal 1800 FRC teams there will be 1800 descriptions for any given KoP item. Additionally the "where to get more" document and data sheets and CAD files should be available via hyperlinks on the BoM.
      It would be great to collaborate with other teams to provide this for FRC in 2011.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

I hadn't seen the previous post, so thanks.

We were at BAE this past weekend. I too am working with rookies this year so I understand the chaos factor. I hope everyone knows that the BOM has to include KOP items this year (I was caught off guard as that is a new requirement).

I of course didn't get your reply until after we submitted our BOM.

Standardization makes a ton of sense, as well as pre-filled fields for all KOP items (excluding quantities used of course). I'd include a field for items purchased as well.

And I'd love to see them offer the spreadsheet in either Google Docs or OpenOffice, to help us be less attached to costly applications.

Ideally all this would be integrated between an accounting and a CAD app, but reality means that isn't going to happen.

I am very happy to help with this concept/project. Who do we need to talk to??

Peter

Originally posted by Kevin Horn View Post
        Peter,
        I am happy to share,
        Parts lists are an essential component of the design process. In the previous post I linked to the sheet so I assume you are just asking if it is OK with me to use the data. Just in case here is the link again to the google spreadsheet. (Sorry for the clutter I have a rookie team this year.

And here is a copy of the First formatted .xls spreadsheet similar to what we provided for teams attending the Autodesk Portland Regional.

Since standards are an importaint part of engineering and technology it would be good to work toward a standard for the way that we enter non KoP items into the BoM.
        Also I feel that FIRST needs to provide a KoP spreadsheet at kickoff that uses the BoM format and has all of the appropriate fields filled in. The blank template provided by FIRST this year poses a problem for robot inspectors in that of the nominal 1800 FRC teams there will be 1800 descriptions for any given KoP item. Additionally the "where to get more" document and data sheets and CAD files should be available via hyperlinks on the BoM.
        It would be great to collaborate with other teams to provide this for FRC in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by wapack View Post
          And I'd love to see them offer the spreadsheet in either Google Docs or OpenOffice, to help us be less attached to costly applications.
          Both Google Docs and OpenOffice will import and save a .xls file. They will also save to .csv or .ods (the other two acceptable formats, per Team Update 12).
          Team 330 beta tester

Comment

Thanks Joe.
            Peter my vote is still for the google doc. For me this has worked very well.
            As far as who to talk to I have no idea.
            I would like feedback on my neglected google spreadsheet. I will get back and update it soon.

Comment

I hope you don't mind some honest feedback, though bear in mind, until I try to actually work with the data, my feedback will be limited to first impressions.

I like the simplicity; the spacer columns from the official BOM were just annoyances to me.

I'd add columns for part numbers and make sure links are provided for suppliers.

I'm not sure why they wanted sub-systems, but it would have helped if they identified what they were looking for (eg kickers or pneumatics; perhaps I missed something, like that we had to include KOP items this year ;-). I assume you should organize by sub-category.

I'd move comments to the right.

But before spending much more time on this, I'd check with FIRST to see where they come down. I assume they would be happy to make it easier on everyone, but they also have some parameters for the data.

I'd suggest (a couple of weeks) after the championships might be a good time to touch base with them. I'll be happy to help with the contact attempts living in NH and just an hour from FIRST HQ.

Peter

Comment

Hey Peter,
                It sounds like we are in agreement about many aspects of the BoM.
                I would like to talk with you about details of bringing a proposal to the FIRST national staff. When you have time please email me at (kurmudgeons at gmail dot com).

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X