• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I/O standard

Here's an IO spec I'm working off of:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...ZLWNIWXc&hl=en

Here's why it's useful:
    • Helps avoid conflicts during software development (say, trying to put the gyro on AI 3, or putting a sensor on AI 8).
    • The more teams that use this, the easier it is to troubleshoot other robots.
    • Allows code to be developed for standard sensors, and implemented without having to adjust the IO ports.

Re: I/O standard

The spreadsheet looks pretty good for the Digital Side Car. Have you thought about using any connectors to make the electronics modular?

What about a standard for connectors (what signal on which pin) for all of your stuff that doesn't mount to the control systems board?

We have been using the Deutsch DTMN series unsealed connectors for PWM extensions because they are easier to use than the PWM connectors. We have been using the Deutsch DTP connectors between the Jags and the CIMs. I know the APP 15-45A connectors are pretty good too.

Does any one know of other connectors that are easy to use?
    Thanks!
    Keith Horn
    Mentor FRC#1294 - Top Gun
    www.kamocat.com
    Hornworks contributor

Comment

For the Jaguar and Victor speed controller and Spike relays Team 3213 has settled on APP connectors with a 6" pigtail. We use shell colors that match the screws on the victors. This makes trouble shooting much faster and safer because we can sub in a new controller right over the top of a suspect controller. The unique shell colors help ensure that we do not get the controller plugged backwards in the heat of the moment. And yes we borrowed this from you. Thanks.
      Has anyone developed a "standard" for PWM style shells that connect to the encoder? We would like to ensure that the cables do not easily mix with the gyro and accelerometer. We have been considering a 2 x 3 shell for each encoder.

Comment

We use a 4 pin connector for the encoder with power, ground and channels A&B. It doesn't connect to the encoder itself though.

Have you heard of anyone color coding the 5V or 24V stuff? I have heard of orange for 24V and yellow for 5-6V.
        Keith Horn
        Mentor FRC#1294 - Top Gun
        www.kamocat.com
        Hornworks contributor

Comment

Those connectors saved our bacon this year. We held back the frame and shipped the controls and air.
          Also we used the andersons on the motors many times for safety reasons.

Comment

Working...
          X