Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration

Hi,

I was wondering how to configure the new robotics simulation. It used to be that I could send the following command line parameters to start the game:

5thgear.exe Client bot_name server_ip_addr team_color

Or whatever the order was for those options. However, this is no longer possible due to the click-once installer. From my research it seems that the game can only get user input from a query string.

Is there a file now where I can edit these default options? Is there also a way to cause the program not to exit after a single game play session? I used to use a batch file, but my batch file seems to no longer wait for the process to end. It's as if the process spawns another process and then exits.

Any help would be appreciated as we need to be able to get the turn around time, from start of program to end of game, down to about 2.5 - 3 minutes.

Thanks,
    -Jason

Re: Configuration

Originally posted by smithj View Post
    However, this is no longer possible due to the click-once installer.
    Still possible, just more difficult. The game will be installed somewhere in the C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Apps path, with a couple seemingly random path names in between. The quickest way is to search for 5thGear.exe (make sure to look for hidden files) starting at the above path. Once found, you can make a shortcut to 5thGear.exe and add in the command line options you desire.

Hi,

I was wondering how to configure the new robotics simulation. It used to be that I could send the following command line parameters to start the game:

5thgear.exe Client bot_name server_ip_addr team_color
    Actually, the order is 5thGear.exe Client [server_ip_addr] [team_color] [name]
    Examples:
    server_ip_addr = 192.168.0.1
    team_color = Blue
    name = Dawg

Actual command line:
    5thGear.exe Client 192.168.0.1 Blue Dawg

Is there a file now where I can edit these default options?
    That will be coming with our next release (which should be done soon). The short of it is that the settings will be remembered between runs, and the game can be set to exhibition mode with many of the options (such as changing team color) disabled for rapid back to back matches at exhibits.

By the way, command line options will still work, and will override the configuration file settings.

Is there also a way to cause the program not to exit after a single game play session?
    Not yet. We've got resource handling issues that need to be cleared up before we can restart between runs. Having an easily accessible icon is the best we can do right now (right in the middle of the desktop).
    5th Gear: FIRST Robotics Match Simulator
    Developer

Lockheed Martin Employee

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.

Still possible, just more difficult. The game will be installed somewhere in the C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Apps path, with a couple seemingly random path names in between. The quickest way is to search for 5thGear.exe (make sure to look for hidden files) starting at the above path. Once found, you can make a shortcut to 5thGear.exe and add in the command line options you desire.
      This works for configuring the game and allowing my batch file to continually relaunch the application. Thank you for that.

Using this method though the game will not allow me to Fullscreen or change the resolution. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Or will a new release be coming out before the 10th of March?

Again thank you for the help.

-Jason

Comment

Using this method though the game will not allow me to Fullscreen or change the resolution. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
        I don't know enough about your situation to be of much help here. I can understand fullscreen not working with a batch file relaunching the application, but changing resolution from within the application (the Graphics setting menu) then hitting apply will keep those settings in the GraphicsSettings.xml file.

Or will a new release be coming out before the 10th of March?
        Unfortunately we can't promise making that date at this point. Our biggest priority is to support the various exhibits, but we'd like to send any update for use by students/mentors as well ASAP.

For some ideas about the event you are running at, see http://thinktank.wpi.edu/article/146. We are trying to collect some feedback from students/mentors this year so we can provide a better and more useful Simulation in the future. There is an email address listed in there as well... perhaps one of the 5th Gear developers or WPI IQP team members may be able to help with your exhibit's specific needs.
        Developer

Lockheed Martin Employee

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.
          This works for configuring the game and allowing my batch file to continually relaunch the application. Thank you for that.

Using this method though the game will not allow me to Fullscreen or change the resolution. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Or will a new release be coming out before the 10th of March?

Again thank you for the help.

-Jason
          One possibility is that the working directory for 5thGear actually needs to be different from the directory that 5thGear.exe is located in. If you look in the Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\<random>\<random> directory, you should see 2 directories whose names start with 5thG. The working directory needs to be the one of those that does *not* include the 5thGear executable (if you're creating a shortcut, the "Start in:" field needs to be set to this other directory; if you're using a batch file, you'd presumably need to cd to that directory first.) Admittedly, I see different symptoms (the server/client will produce an error popup the first time it tries to load a robot model on my machine), but it's worth checking.

Edit to add: in addition to the crash, I cannot modify the graphics settings if I don't change the "Start in:" field of a shortcut.

-David Dobbs
          5thGear developer

Comment

Ok, for anyone else that needs a batch file that will constantly relaunch the robotics simulator with the settings you have specified, here it is:

Code:
            @echo off
            cd "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Apps\[RandomDirectories ending in the one with out the 5thgear.exe]\"
            :Robots
            Start /wait ..\[Directory with the 5thgear exe]\5thgear.exe [Type] [IP] [Color] [Name]
            goto :Robots
            This works for allowing the game to Full screen and constantly relauch with the desired settings. It's very useful for setting up tournaments or exhibits with the robotics simulator.

Thanks to all the posters above for their help.

--Jason
            Last edited by smithj; 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Ok, for anyone else that needs a batch file that will constantly relaunch the robotics simulator with the settings you have specified
              Thank you for sharing this. This helped a great deal with the Chesapeake Regional 5th Gear exhibit.

With 5th Gear version 1.1 (the version currently at the thinktank site), you don't need the command line options, as the selections are saved from run to run.
              Developer

Lockheed Martin Employee

Comment

Working...
              X