Why isn't it open source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't it open source?

One of the things that is really encouraging for me joining FRC this year is the fact that WPILib is open source -- though, I'm still annoyed that they haven't bothered opening up their SVN and make a bugzilla or something to that effect (the forums seem to be a poor substitute, IMHO).

Why not this? Seems like theres a lot of people who could make contributions if it were.

Re: Why isn't it open source?

Originally posted by virtuald View Post
    One of the things that is really encouraging for me joining FRC this year is the fact that WPILib is open source -- though, I'm still annoyed that they haven't bothered opening up their SVN and make a bugzilla or something to that effect (the forums seem to be a poor substitute, IMHO).

Why not this? Seems like theres a lot of people who could make contributions if it were.
    You heaeded in the right direction - I (and my colleagues) just need to catch up with you
    I am going to open up the computer-controlled code this season or next; maybe not immediately make it open source, but definitely open up some interfaces.

FYI - That part is written in Java

We agree that in general we want to encourage contributions and collaborations. However, when you churn out a few thousand lines of code while watching you son's swimming lessons and after the wife and kids have gone to sleep and during Scout troop meetings and ... some times it gets embarrassingly ugly to look at.

Organizing software so that it is suitable for collaboration takes a little more effort than the looming-deadlines, semi-stream-of-consciousness, just-make-it-work coding I have been doing for the last few weeks (I work with professional developers and I know they difference between their skills and mine ). That sort of thing is part of my plan for the off season; because at the least my part of the code, needs a severe clean-up before I can expose it to the cold cruel world.

Stay motivated, start a feature list for what you want to change/add, start designing the code you would want to contribute, and keep pestering us to publish interface definitions!

Blake
    PS: I am confident that my buddies' code is written much better than mine; but even so, opening a project up to to collaboratioin without it turning into a mess is a non-trivial coordination job. Let us get through this first season before we do that...
    Last edited by gblake; 01-29-2009, 10:55 PM.
    A Triangle Fraternity member and a 5th Gear programmer
    Thank You! to Lockheed Martin for their very generous support of 5th Gear, and FIRST/Vex Robotics!

Comment

Working...
    X