Exporting Report Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting Report Data

One of the top 3 requests for functionality during our last RD call was the ability to export information from RIMS. There are many reports and not enough time to create exports from all of them. So, I am looking for your input as to what 2 or 3 reports would most beneficial to you to have an export capability.

The poll associated with this thread has a list of RIMS reports that I believe it makes sense to, conceivably, have an export feature. Please vote on the the report you feel would help you the most. We'll look into implementing the top 2.

Feel free to suggest other reports as well and we'll try to add them to the poll before it ends December 14th, 2007.

Thanks for your thoughts.

James
    Team List for <Regional>
    0.00%
    Complete Team Contact List for <Regional>
    66.67%
    Team Email List for <Regional>
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: Exporting Report Data

I guess I am asking for a new report. That being the case, if a field contains info about the team's status, I can sort by it once it is my computer. I prefer to work locally and not be connected for long periods to RIMS. Also it means I can access info while away from a connection.

So here are the names of fields I would like on this new report.
    1. Team #,
    2. Team Name (Long),
    3. Team Name (short)
    4. Team home,
    5. Location of where the team meets[Nice but not critical! just the town]
    6. Team Nickname
    7. Team Motto
    8. Team web site.
    9. All Contact Names (both Main, other and Alt), their preferred E-mails and their phone numbers. This item could be 9 fields in the report.
    10. Kickoff location
    11. Kit delivery
    12. Team's rookie year
    13. Year last registered in FIRST

Hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for your note.

A couple of clarifying questions:

1) What filter are you looking for to generate this list of teams? What I heard was a list of teams filtered by a specific regional event (e.g. the Boston Regional). So, this would mean the report would only include teams that were registered for this year's Boston Regional event. From what you have said here, I'm not sure that's what you are looking for.

2) What do you mean by "Team home" and "Location of where the team meets[Nice but not critical! just the town]"? We have the city and state of a team (location) but no other location information on the team.

N.B., we do have what is referred to as the "Host Organization" which could be a school or club.

3) What do you mean by "Kit delivery"? Do you mean whether they are having the kit delivered, or do you mean where they are picking up their kit, or something else?

4) What analysis are you looking at doing with this list (we're looking to build analysis tools into RIMS)?

Comment

Sent by Randy Schaeffer...

Gang --

Here's something I discovered recently --

If you highlight and copy any of the existing reports available from RIMS and then you special paste as Unicode into an Excel sheet, you can very easily have all the data in a format that can be easily tailored to your needs using Excel.

One improve (MAYBE -- Because who uses snail mail these days) would be to include USPS addresses in the databases included when we hit the buttons for complete team contacts.

The secret is special paste and pasting as unicode.

Given the ease of this, it might not be necessary for James to create additional export reports.

Randy

Comment

James,

To your questions:

1) What filter are you looking for to generate this list of teams? What I heard was a list of teams filtered by a specific regional event (e.g. the Boston Regional). So, this would mean the report would only include teams that were registered for this year's Boston Regional event. From what you have said here, I'm not sure that's what you are looking for.

I would like to be able to export data under the following catagories:
          A. By State
          B. By event [including Championship
          C. By year team first played

This would contain full contact information [prefered as well as "other" phone and email address.

I do not need to have more than one report of data if that data set has fields which aloow me to search and sort the entire data set in a spreadsheet. If the data set contains all the info available I can use the spreadsheet to do my "filtering". The point here is that I may need to easily download the data weekly or daily to maintain an accurate updated data set in my computer. I can put this information in a secure protected file if security is an issue. Being able to sort by Zip, Town, etc. as well as to search for people in the data when I need to find their contact info quickly is the main goal of this "report". Just having it available as a fast download either as text [comma or tab delineated] or other importable form for a spreadsheet is all I really want. There is no reason to have you develop multiple special reports.

2) What do you mean by "Team home" and "Location of where the team meets[Nice but not critical! just the town]"? We have the city and state of a team (location) but no other location information on the team.

N.B., we do have what is referred to as the "Host Organization" which could be a school or club.

This item is not currently included. Sometimes a team is hard to contact and knowing the name of the host organization with some address or other contact info can help track the team down in case the listed contacts are not reposding for various reasons [including death which as happened in this reagion twice]. This might also help in finding where the team is meeting or building their robot during the season.

3) What do you mean by "Kit delivery"? Do you mean whether they are having the kit delivered, or do you mean where they are picking up their kit, or something else?

This refers to the location they have specified [if any] for their KOP pickup. It helps for me to see if teams have missed making the arrangements for that, esp. rookies or teams who now have a new mentor team. It helps when I try to locate teams who may be having some difficulty.

4) What analysis are you looking at doing with this list (we're looking to build analysis tools into RIMS)?

I have nothing in mind as I hope to include my own analysis when I use the spreadsheet. I could use mapping function for team location [Inc FTC, FLL, JFLL as well.] Ability to generate totals of teams started, teams lost, by year, etc. Much of this i can do in my own computer, but if you can generate graphs and maps of regions that would be helpful.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X