Account and posts deleted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account and posts deleted

I recently heard about an account closed on the forum and all posts from that account disappearing. I remember this happening before. In both cases the owners of the account were mystified about what happened. In both cases I don't remember either user posting anything inappropriate or abusing the forum in any way. Is this an accident of the spam tools or an action by the moderator? It really makes a hash of conversations that contained valuable contributions from the deleted posts.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 02-09-2020, 01:44 PM.

I may have been that first person. I had an account, been using it for a few years with a couple thousand posts. One day I tried logging in and it said I had been permanently banned for posting something inappropriate. There is no means to contact any moderators and there was nothing I could do about it, except create a new account. Isn't that crazy? We have tried and tried to get first to allow some of us to become moderators, but they seem to just ignore the question.

Because there is no moderator here, I feel like it was a robot (ironic, huh? ) that banned me.

For as great and absolutely necessary this forum is, it could be SO much more.
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
      I may have been that first person. I had an account, been using it for a few years with a couple thousand posts. One day I tried logging in and it said I had been permanently banned for posting something inappropriate. There is no means to contact any moderators and there was nothing I could do about it, except create a new account. Isn't that crazy? We have tried and tried to get first to allow some of us to become moderators, but they seem to just ignore the question.

Because there is no moderator here, I feel like it was a robot (ironic, huh? ) that banned me.

For as great and absolutely necessary this forum is, it could be SO much more.
      I occasionally report posts as Spam and they seem to disappear. I don't know if it is a human or a robot that makes that happen. @Kevin O'Connor is still active on the forum, though I believe most of his attention is on the FRC side. @FLLadmin shows their last activity as March 27th, 2018, so I assume they are no longer active.

Comment

Apparently he has private messaging turned off, so this is the only way I can make this request:

Dear Kevin O'Connor,

I was a first-year coach in FLL this season (2019-20). I only recently started using this site, which I have found informative (wish I'd started earlier). Yesterday logging into my "jbeale" username I read "This account has been permanently banned by Kevin O'Connor" without further explanation, and all of my forum posts had been deleted. I was truly surprised, and disappointed to say the least. I was able to create this new account, using a different email. If my posts violated any written or unwritten rules or expectations of any kind, I am unaware of it. I would appreciate some indication of the cause of this action. I have used many online forums since the dialup BBS systems in the 1980s. This event is a first for me.

Sincerely,
        John Beale

Comment

At the risk of also getting my account banned, I would like to say a few words in support John Beale's posts.

John's thread about EV3 gyro was one of the best threads on the FLL forum. The EV3 gyro sensor has frustrated many FLL teams and coaches alike. John's posts provided concrete data showing exactly how the gyro was (mis)behaving. John did the FLL community a great service by posting the results of his experiments on a public forum so that all teams, not just his own, could benefit. By deleting his posts, you are depriving the FLL community of an invaluable resource.

I sincerely hope this just an accident and that the John's posts can be restored.

Comment

John and Skip both have a nasty habit of frequently editing old posts. Normally that just puts the post under moderation, but maybe if you do it frequently enough some sort of nuclear option kicks in. Back in the old days I occasionally got a message from the moderator if I was being testy, and a few times was even asked for my opinion about if a thread was getting out of hand. Boy those were the wild west days!

Neither John or Skip ever posted anything that should get their accounts shut down. Well, not John anyway. Oh, John is that annoying New Arrival guy. Maybe there was cause.

Comment

Again, I happily submit my offer to help with forum moderation. I have forum moderator experience, and want to make this place better. It's pretty good now, but there are some nagging issues that are keeping it from being great.

First order of business will be to make all of Dean's posts happier and in total agreement with everything I say. Just kidding!!!
              Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

Originally posted by NewArrival View Post
                Apparently he has private messaging turned off, so this is the only way I can make this request:

Dear Kevin O'Connor,

I was a first-year coach in FLL this season (2019-20). I only recently started using this site, which I have found informative (wish I'd started earlier). Yesterday logging into my "jbeale" username I read "This account has been permanently banned by Kevin O'Connor" without further explanation, and all of my forum posts had been deleted. I was truly surprised, and disappointed to say the least. I was able to create this new account, using a different email. If my posts violated any written or unwritten rules or expectations of any kind, I am unaware of it. I would appreciate some indication of the cause of this action. I have used many online forums since the dialup BBS systems in the 1980s. This event is a first for me.

Sincerely,
                John Beale
                Kevin O'Connor - Kevin, are you there? Hoping this kicks in some notification to you.

Comment

I will chime in to just further advocate for more and better...meaning I believe that forum-style communication is VERY helpful to all sorts of audiences. Technical and long term types, game play, rule debates, tournament leaders and prep, general sharing, etc. Just look at the amount of activity in the FB FLL Share&Learn group...I get that for many folks, FB is a more reachable medium...but I think its "forum" features are very disorganized and not helpful to much more than "daily messages". But good moderation by the Seshans does make that a more consistent resource, so I too believe we could enact some moderation here (or hopefully in a BB/Forum package that has lots of modern features).

If you had a good plan, you could even have region-specific sections of a forum, moderated by regional partners or head refs, etc. You could have private areas. You could have perhaps better ways to identify posters as teams/kids, or coaches, mentors, refs, tournament folks, FIRST FSMs, partners, etc.

FIRST, communication is a key core principal, and sharing right next to it. We want more.

Comment

Thanks Tim, that does trigger a notification. I didn't realize I had private messages turned off, I'll go look into enabling them.

John, my sincere apologies for the deletion of your account. It was absolutely not intentional and not related to the content of your posts, one of your posts that triggered moderation must have accidentally been caught in a wave of spam post deletions. I have un-banned your previous account. Unfortunately the posts are unrecoverable. When deleting spam accounts/posts I select the "Delete all posts from selected user" option and the "permanently remove" options as the forum is currently receiving 10+ spam accounts/posts a day and soft deleting them would result in any mod/admins view of the forums being filled up with spam posts.

As Dean has noted, frequently editing posts often results in posts ending up in the moderation queue. I do review each post in moderation but have got in the habit of scanning the queue for valid posts and approving them, then batch deleting the remainder. It appears that this habit has bit me here and I will go back to individually reviewing all posts in moderation to avoid a similar occurrence in the future.

While there is at least one person in the FLL department that has been involved with the forum, I believe his focus has been primarily on specific official uses (such as the Head Referee section).

If you would like to see a community moderation program or other changes enacted to the forums here, I recommend emailing [email protected].
                    FIRST®
                    FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

I just tried the Way Back Machine. Says the forum was backed up Dec 31, Feb 2nd, and Feb 3rd. But I get 403 unauthorized. Anybody know how Way Back works better than I?

https://web.archive.org/web/20200501...stinspires.org

Comment

Thank you Kevin for clearing up this issue and unbanning my original login. I appreciate that the job of a forum moderator, while essential, can be a generally thankless job, and it's a given that the spam never stops. If we take this season's motto ("Together, we RISE") as inspiration, maybe accepting volunteer forum moderator assistance could take some of the burden off the regular staff. I will email that thought to firstinspires as you suggest.

regards,
                        John

Comment

Thanks, Kevin O'Connor About a year ago my account was deleted for the same mysterious reason. I don't know that I had been editing a lot of posts, but I certainly edited some. If you can stick around and be available for issues in the future, that will go a long way to keeping things copacetic.

EHMentor, the URL for the forum changed a few months ago. I'll bet that's making it hard to find snapshots older than that.

Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
                            Thanks, Kevin O'Connor About a year ago my account was deleted for the same mysterious reason. I don't know that I had been editing a lot of posts, but I certainly edited some. If you can stick around and be available for issues in the future, that will go a long way to keeping things copacetic.

EHMentor, the URL for the forum changed a few months ago. I'll bet that's making it hard to find snapshots older than that.
                            I was attempting to retrieve the recent posts and data about the gyro that jbeale had posted but which was deleted along with his account just a few days ago. I used the current forum address, which indicates this forum has been backed up recently, but I'm getting a 403 error which I haven't found what that means or what to do to get around it.

Comment

Originally posted by EHMentor View Post

I was attempting to retrieve the recent posts and data about the gyro that jbeale had posted but which was deleted along with his account just a few days ago. I used the current forum address, which indicates this forum has been backed up recently, but I'm getting a 403 error which I haven't found what that means or what to do to get around it.
                              I was able to get about the first page of discussion with google cache. Unfortunately, it did not save pictures and the thread didn't get good until the second page.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Comment

Working...
                              X