Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkipMorrow
    replied
    For sure. I am really itching to get my team going. Last week and this were geared toward orientation at the school to get the kids all up to speed on the new rules. They also are doing some virtual days this week to shake the cobwebs out and test the systems. Hopefully next week we can get started.

Then you can expect to hear from me a lot more. You have been warned.

Leave a comment:

• Rbbbbb
    replied
    It's still good to hear from all of you, glad you're alive and hope everything is well.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Mosher
    replied
    It's been very quiet. Too quiet.

Leave a comment:

• timdavid
    replied
    Originally posted by philso View Post
    FIRST may be trying to get rid of a lot of 2020 kits later....
    FIRST must have realized the same thing. Sounds like teams can buy a second kit now.

Leave a comment:

• timdavid
    replied
    Our regional partner is now promoting a purely virtual alternative
    https://hightechkids.org/coderz/

Leave a comment:

• philso
    replied
    One of the coaches I know said that she found only 17 teams registered here in the East Texas Region (Houston area) when she searched through the FIRST website. I think there are normally a lot more teams registered by this time.

FIRST may be trying to get rid of a lot of 2020 kits later...

PS: It's good to see you back, David.

Leave a comment:

• SkipMorrow
    replied
    I am eagerly waiting to jump in. My school hasn't made any decisions about after-school programs. Therefore, we haven't even ordered our kit yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of teams in the same position.

Leave a comment:

• timdavid
    replied
    Originally posted by nedcook View Post
    Maybe some are trying to figure out how the whole FLL thing is going to work in the current environment. .
    My regional partner sent this out a few months ago about possible tournament structures. Many of the schools in my area will be either online-only or hybrid, so figuring out how teams will work together may be a bigger challenge than the tournaments.

FIRST LEGO League Challenge

The competition structure of FLL Challenge can be somewhat easily re-imagined. Some possibilities include:
    • Completely Remote/Virtual - Teams would be judged and run their robot via a platform such as Zoom. Teams would follow a schedule, much like they do at an in-person event (although probably with less downtime). This would require teams to have access to a 4' x 8' space with the official FLL Challenge Kit and Mat, as well as the technology to connect to the internet with video.
    • Partially Remote/Virtual - Teams would judge remotely as described above but bring their robot to a location to run it live before a referee. These runs could be completed prior to the event (maybe in the evening) or the day of the event.
    • Limited In-Person Event - Teams would be scheduled in small groups to be on site in order to complete their judging and performance rounds. They would be then asked to leave and the next group would come in. This cycle continues until all teams have been seen.

Leave a comment:

• nedcook
    replied
    Maybe everyone is just getting off to a slower start. Maybe some are trying to figure out how the whole FLL thing is going to work in the current environment. I'll be honest, all I've done so far is look at the launch video. We will be starting a week or two late. Our school does have in-person classes, so I'm thankful for that. Hopefully that will continue.

Leave a comment:

• korey99
    replied
    We're coming back, but with the registration date, not receiving our field kit yet, school starting late, and school being remote, we're going to be delayed.

Leave a comment:

• timdavid
    replied
    There are active discussions over in the Facebook group. Sadly, I do think that the number of participating teams will be substantially reduced this season.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Mosher
    replied
    Not abandoned, but it seems that interest is rather low.

Leave a comment:

• dna1990
    started a topic OK, so why so quiet?

OK, so why so quiet?

I know priorities are around back-to-school plans right now, but not a single post about Replay? Has this site been abandoned?
Working...
X