pre-match 1 minute - things that can be done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-match 1 minute - things that can be done

During the 1 minute before the match starts, our team was wondering, if one team member can start arranging the building blocks inside of Home in the Large Inspection Area, while the second team member shows the robot for Small Inspection Area Bonus, and goes on to set up for the first mission in the Launch area.

OR do they have to wait until Small Inspection Area check is complete? Does the 1 minute start before or after the check?

Thanks

You will almost certainly have much more than 1 minute to setup. I have never seen someone with a stopwatch timing teams to see if they exceeded the 1 minute setup time.

Comment

Building blocks don't have to fit inside the small inspection area, only your equipment. It would be silly to place the blocks in the small inspection area during inspection, so place them where you want in the large area.

Comment

Originally posted by sbuzz View Post
        During the 1 minute before the match starts, our team was wondering, if one team member can start arranging the building blocks inside of Home in the Large Inspection Area, while the second team member shows the robot for Small Inspection Area Bonus, and goes on to set up for the first mission in the Launch area.

OR do they have to wait until Small Inspection Area check is complete? Does the 1 minute start before or after the check?

Thanks
        That isn't clearly discussed in the rules. I recommend you contact your tournament director or regional head referee and ask how they are going to run the event.
        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Thanks,

FLLVetran, so, even if the time is not set, our questions still remains. When can we start arranging the blocks as we want it to be? Are we allowed to do it while Small Area Inspection is going on?Do they have to wait for another cue from the referee?

Dean, we certainly don't want to put anything other than our robot, attachments and innovation architecture model for Small Area Inspection. We understood that. I mean that our team wants to start arranging/building the blocks as suitable for their missions coming up. Can they do it at a place away from Small Area Inspection (like in the Large Inspection Area) while the inspection is going on?

Tom, We are in Oregon!

Comment

Thanks,

FLLVetran, so, even if the time is not set, our questions still remains. When can we start arranging the blocks as we want it to be? Are we allowed to do it while Small Area Inspection is going on?Do they have to wait for another cue from the referee?
            Why do you want to simultaneously arrange blocks in base and get inspected in the small inspection area? The only reason I could think of is that you want to save setup time. The point I was trying to make is that you will probably have enough time to do all the setup you need.

Comment

Thanks,

When can we start arranging the blocks as we want it to be?
              <snip>
              Tom, We are in Oregon!
              I don't know yet.

Comment

When can we start arranging the blocks as we want it to be?
                <snip>
                Tom, We are in Oregon!
                Since this topic isn't defined in the rules, there are going to be differing opinions among the refs, even if we tried to train all the referees to be consistent about it. It just isn't possible to achieve 100% accuracy and consistency in referee decisions.

So I recommend your team adopt a flexible strategy, and ask the referees when they get to the table. Be prepared with a Plan B in case they ask you to wait until after Inspection is over.

Unless you have a ton of work to do in getting your first launch set up, I don't think you'll need to rush. I've never started a match before both teams at the table were ready - in practice the one-minute of setup time is a minimum, not the maximum.

Speaking practically, the SW corner of the table is a little small to have three people working at once - one tech and a referee on inspection, and another tech setting up the Launch Area. I think it would all go more smoothly if you avoided the Launch Area until after inspection is over. You might be used to practicing with just the two techs at the table, but you need to leave space for a Referee during Inspection as well.

The only case where the refs would start a match before both teams were ready is in some bizarre circumstance where one team was holding up the entire tournament in an unreasonable manner.

Comment

As mentioned above, you will need to get an official answer for your region. At our regional in Wisconsin the inspection process was very quick - about 15 seconds. Just about everyone was using the small inspection area and doing so easily, so there was not much time to be gained trying to work during the inspection. The head referee did talk about the one minute setup period but used it more as a guideline rather than a strict rule. He indicated that the time limit would be more rigidly enforced in later rounds.

The team I coach assembled two tall stacks of blocks (8 and 7 levels plus upgrades) and fit them into an attachment, but they practiced in advance and were able to assemble them in less than a minute.

Comment

Thanks,

Dean, we certainly don't want to put anything other than our robot, attachments and innovation architecture model for Small Area Inspection. We understood that. I mean that our team wants to start arranging/building the blocks as suitable for their missions coming up. Can they do it at a place away from Small Area Inspection (like in the Large Inspection Area) while the inspection is going on?

Tom, We are in Oregon!
                    If the blocks will not be in the small inspection area, where will they be? Either you clear them completely out of the inspection area so it is all available for your robot and equipment, or you move it to the large inspection area. If you move the blocks out of the small inspection area to the large inspection area why wouldn't you arrange them the way you want? Are you thinking this would be preparation and there is some window when you are allowed to do prep? This is not the case. There is a published prep period so all teams know the minimum time they can expect to do setup work. That way you wont have a team expecting to rebuild their robot before start of match. Setup is done when all teams have completed their setup work and signal the referee they are ready. You will be a polite team that does their prep quickly and listens attentively to the referees instructions. Right?

Comment

Thank you Tom, I'll convey your recommendation to the team. They practiced for the first time with a timer yesterday and realized they are taking a lot of time setting up the blocks. We'll keep in mind your suggestions during our remaining practices

thanks jlrwi, glad to hear that. I'm also hoping practice will help. Also, Tom Mosher is our Head Referee!

Dean, Yes! we were thinking of a window that allows for prep. And Yes! the team will be polite and attentive and do their prep as fast as they can! No doubt about that!

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                      X