Entering Home Area During Mission Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering Home Area During Mission Run

Is the robot allowed to enter the Home Area during a mission run (without touching anything)? TIA.

Update RG13:
    If the Robot happens to interact with something which is at rest in Home, that shall not be considered an interaction with you, so it’s not an Interruption. Said another way: After any Launch, and before the next Interruption, the Robot is free to go in and out of Home, and interact with things, even if you “staged” them strategically.

Comment

Thank you for the info, rjbell4!

Comment

"Launch Sequence. Your robot and everything it is about to move or use is arranged completely in the launch area"

I thought "about to" meant "from now until an interrupt". Is that too restrictive? How long does "about to" last? I know "back in the day" the robot could return to base and you could "strategically position" items for the robot to use without an interruption. Then there were a few years where scoring all possible points was deemed a bad thing and the strategic positioning was only allowed prior to launch. The current launch wording is very similar to those more restrictive years, so I assumed it meant the same thing. All things you are going to use during this mission have to be completely inside the launch area prior to launch. So does this mean that the robot is free to return to home and have some kind of interaction with items that were not in the launch area during launch? Can I line up all my stacks and have the robot drive into home, get a stack and deliver? If this is the case, do I now have freedom to have the robot position equipment outside the launch area and use that in subsequent missions? Can I have the robot drive into home, grab some kind of guide and position that on the field, then use the guide to aid in performing missions?

Is this is a big change or is it a case of someone not thinking things through. Will we see this another update to clarify what permissions RG13 provides?

Comment

My opinions only:

I thought "about to" meant "from now until an interrupt". Is that too restrictive?
          Yes, I think that is too restrictive. "About to" only refers to the instant when the launch happens - not what happens after that.

do I now have freedom to have the robot position equipment outside the launch area and use that in subsequent missions?
          I think you can load-up the launch Area with anything you like. There isn't any defined time limit on when it gets used. The only clear restriction is that in practice, between the Launch and the next Interruption, the team cannot touch anything that is outside of Home - that includes not putting things into - or removing things from - the Launch Area - except "things stranded" per RG09.

Whatever "things stranded" refers to, that's not clearly defined.

I doubt we'll get any more Updates - it's getting too late.
          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
            It is getting late, but I seem to recall some updates in previous seasons that occurred after the start of tournaments. Our region starts qualifying tournaments next week, but they extend into January. Plenty of time for more updates....
            Last edited by timdavid; 11-06-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
              My opinions only:

Yes, I think that is too restrictive. "About to" only refers to the instant when the launch happens - not what happens after that.

I think you can load-up the launch Area with anything you like. There isn't any defined time limit on when it gets used. The only clear restriction is that in practice, between the Launch and the next Interruption, the team cannot touch anything that is outside of Home - that includes not putting things into - or removing things from - the Launch Area - except "things stranded" per RG09.

Whatever "things stranded" refers to, that's not clearly defined.

Either I'm not hearing what you're saying or you're not hearing me. I will try again.

All equipment you are about to move or use has to fit completely inside the launch area when you do the launch action, but what equipment does that mean? Does it mean I no longer have to put any equipment in the launch area? I can just put the robot in the launch area and use the home area like a launch area extension? If that is the case, why wasn't the launch rule changed to "Any equipment in the launch area must fit completely in the launch area at the time of launch"? What's with the "about to move or use" part, does that have any meaning at all? If equipment to be used in a mission does not have to start in the launch area I don't have to limit my equipment to fit in the launch area. I can even make really tall equipment because it only has to fit in the home area during inspection. I can lay tall items on their side for inspection and place the right-side up for use.

Does this only seem like a big thing to me? Usually I'm pretty "meh" about the game updates. I think RG13 changes a lot of things it probably wasn't meant to change.

Comment

Drat, previous reply flagged by the forum-bot due to excessive editing. Re-posting:
                ====================

All equipment you are about to move or use has to fit completely inside the launch area when you do the launch action, but what equipment does that mean?
                I think a total assessment of the rules and the Updates show that the word "everything" in Rule 21 is not exactly correct. RG13 clarifies that "everything" in Rule 21 really means "everything that is in the Launch Area".

Update RG13 (which has higher priority than the game rule) allows the robot to pick up equipment or models that are in Home.

I can just put the robot in the launch area and use the home area like a launch area extension?
                Yes.

why wasn't the launch rule changed to "Any equipment in the launch area must fit completely in the launch area at the time of launch"?
                I think they missed that in editing the rules for the creation of the Home area. Sometimes documentation errors don't become obvious until after they're put into use.

about to move or use" part, does that have any meaning at all?
                Yes. For example, it means any stack of building units that the team puts into the Launch Area also are subject to the 12-inch height limit.

I don't have to limit my equipment to fit in the launch area. I can even make really tall equipment because it only has to fit in the home area during inspection
                Yes you could. Call it a hidden freedom, or call it a mistake in the game design. Either way, it seems to be legal.
                FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                  ... If equipment to be used in a mission does not have to start in the launch area I don't have to limit my equipment to fit in the launch area. I can even make really tall equipment because it only has to fit in the home area during inspection. I can lay tall items on their side for inspection and place the right-side up for use.
                  Does this only seem like a big thing to me? Usually I'm pretty "meh" about the game updates. I think RG13 changes a lot of things it probably wasn't meant to change.
                  Yes, it seems potentially very useful for certain strategies.

Comment

Working...
                  X