Mission 2 Crane: Independent clarifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 2 Crane: Independent clarifications

For Mission 2, my interpretation is that the “Independent” requirement only pertains to the Hooked Blue Unit, not the one it is supported by, correct?

Actually, all the requirements are on only the Hooked Blue Unit, right?

Also if equipment is touching the string attached to the Hooked Blue Unit, but not touching the blue unit, is it still independent?

This independence rule has caught our team off guard a couple of times. Here and the stacking missions. And the ruling that your Mission 11 structure is equipment, and negates independence on anything it touches.

For Mission 2, my interpretation is that the “Independent” requirement only pertains to the Hooked Blue Unit, not the one it is supported by, correct?
    I agree.
    Also if equipment is touching the string attached to the Hooked Blue Unit, but not touching the blue unit, is it still independent?
    I do not know. The rules do not say whether Independence is transitive.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

I agree with number 1, there is no requirement that the supporting Blue Unit be independent.
      Your second question is, can equipment be touching the string at the end of the match, regardless of the final position of the Hooked Blue Unit and still score. Must the string be independent?

The mission requires that "the Hooked Blue Unit is... Independent and Supported by another Blue Unit" Independent means "Not touching any equipment"
      It is my opinion that only the Hooked Blue Unit needs to be Independent and Equipment can be touching the string the same as it can be touching the crane. The string is part of the crane, not the Hooked Blue Unit. There is no requirement that the string/crane be separated from the Hooked Blue Unit. Any other interpretation would require the entire crane to be Independent.

I foresee a problem with the requirement that the Hooked Blue Unite be "...Supported by another Blue Unit" If a team is touching the string, is there slack in the string making the Hooked Blue Unit Supported by the other Blue Unit. Supported means "100% of its weight is held up and kept from falling" by the other Blue Unit. If your team is touching the string, have them make sure that there is slack in the string such that a ref can see that the crane Blue Unit is Supported by the other Blue Unit.

They should be prepared to discuss the definition of Independent and Supported, Rule 33 and 34 with the refs. Good Luck.
      FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 5x, World 3x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

Working...
      X