Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any rules between Interruption and next launch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any rules between Interruption and next launch

    Hi, it seems most of the rules apply to the time between a Launch and the subsequent Interruption. There is no mention of anything between that Interruption and the next Launch. For example:
    can the technicians place the robot/cargo out of Home and/or Launch Area during this time, without penalty?

    Another question is that the rule says the robot need to get back to Home, but if there is a tall/long attachment that extends outside the bound West of the table but the "robot" is in HOME with no part hover over the mat, is that allowed? Thanks.

  • #2
    ...can the technicians place the robot/cargo out of Home and/or Launch Area during this time, without penalty?
    Yes. Rules 22 and 23 contain the phrase "... except to Launch". That gives the team permission to move objects from Home into the Launch Area while the robot is Interrupted.

    The only place to which teams can move objects out of Home is to the Launch Area, and then only before the match or while the robot is Interrupted.

    Rule 19 also allows the robot to be placed anywhere on the Field for sensor calibration (before the match only).

    if there is a tall/long attachment that extends outside the bound West of the table but the "robot" is in HOME
    The attachment is part of the robot. If the team touches the robot while it is not completely inside Home, the team will lose a Precision Token. Rules 07 and 27.



    Last edited by Tom Mosher; 10-29-2019, 01:42 PM.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
      Yes. Rules 22 and 23 contain the phrase "... except to Launch". That gives the team permission to move objects from Home into the Launch Area while the robot is Interrupted.

      The only place to which teams can move objects out of Home is to the Launch Area, and then only before the match or while the robot is Interrupted.

      Rule 19 also allows the robot to be placed anywhere on the Field for sensor calibration (before the match only).
      This seems to be an extremely strict interpretation. Say if a small portion of the attachment extrude outside of the Launch Area during alignment but the technician moves it back before the Launch, they will still lose a precision token... not saying that's not the case, just seems harsh... Wonder how this has been judged in past year's competitions.

      Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
      The attachment is part of the robot. If the team touches the robot while it is not completely inside Home, the team will lose a Precision Token. Rules 07 and 27.
      I tend to agree with this one. The team just need to figure out a way to ensure the robot is "entirely" in HOME before interruptions.



      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mchen View Post

        This seems to be an extremely strict interpretation. Say if a small portion of the attachment extrude outside of the Launch Area during alignment but the technician moves it back before the Launch, they will still lose a precision token.
        That's not what I said. Precision Tokens are only taken when the robot is Interrupted. An Interruption cannot happen until after the robot has been Launched. So while the team is aligning the robot in the Launch Area, all the referees might do is ask the team to not use the area outside Launch. But that would just be a casual chat, there is no penalty for it, and most referees aren't going to even mention it since it isn't a significant strategic advantage.


        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

        Comment

        Working...
        X