Confusion about Launch/ Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion about Launch/ Home

I am very confused by the new separation of launch and home- Is there an explicit description of what you are allowed to do in each area, and how the building modules and robot are allowed to move between them? I am seeking some clarification n the following, and feel like I missed a section of the rulebook somewhere:
    • Is there a more complete description of the rules somewhere than just the Game Guide?
    • If the robot returns to home between missions, can it then be manually placed on the launch pad or does it need to get there under its own steam?
    • Can the building modules be manually manipulated while in "home"? (It is my understanding that the team can move whatever they want within the home area, is this correct?)
    • Can building modules be manually placed in the launch area? (i.e.- Can my team arrange the pieces & robot in launch area prior to hitting the "go" button & launching their robot?
    • Since the table set-up specifies the items in home can be placed however the team likes, do building modules and upgrades need to start out separated, or can they be pre-arranged into stacks with upgrades on top?
    If anyone can point me to more complete rules guide, I would appreciate it. Right now I only find the Game Guide and Challenge updates.

Regarding your second question: If the robot is interrupted, it must be relaunched (rule 27). If it's interrupted when the robot and its equipment is entirely in Home, then there is no loss of a precisions token. If the robot is interrupted after the launch but not in Home, then there is a loss of a precision token except as described in RG07 which allows for a re-launch without loss of a precision token. So the short answer is that the robot does not need to drive itself back to the launch area on its own.
    Last edited by dreece1000; 10-15-2019, 02:53 PM.

FLL Coach 2014 -

Comment

Originally posted by Amberack View Post
      If anyone can point me to more complete rules guide, I would appreciate it. Right now I only find the Game Guide and Challenge updates.
      The Game Guide and the Updates are the definitive rules. The rules don't say what the team CAN do, because there are too many permutations to list them all. Mostly the rules say what they can't do, or give a general framework from which you have to imply what is possible. It takes experience to learn the nuances.

Is there a more complete description of the rules somewhere than just the Game Guide?
      No, there isn't.

If the robot returns to home between missions, can it then be manually placed on the launch pad...
      Yes. Once the Robot is in Home, the team can Interrupt it without penalty, and then they can start preparing the next Launch. That includes placing it into the Launch Area.

Can the building modules be manually manipulated while in "home"? (It is my understanding that the team can move whatever they want within the home area, is this correct?)
      Yes. The team can do whatever they like in Home at any time. Rule 22 says "Don't" and "not", so it's a double-negative. The other way to read it is that is says you CAN interact with objects in Home at any time.

Can building modules be manually placed in the launch area?
      Yes, but only while the robot is "Interrupted". Update RG13 discusses this.

Since the table set-up specifies the items in home can be placed however the team likes, do building modules and upgrades need to start out separated, or can they be pre-arranged into stacks with upgrades on top?
      There is no rule against doing that, so it is allowed.
      Last edited by Tom Mosher; 10-15-2019, 03:27 PM.
      FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
      X