Mission 1- Elevated places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 1- Elevated places

Interesting discussion today between two of my groups. They were both telling the other that they were interfering so would not score points for mission 1 and the other team would get the points.
    1) Team 1 has an attachment on the end of their robot. When they reach the top of the ramp the medium motor activates causing a "wall" to come down, keeping other robots from hitting it. The bottom of the wall fits into the space allowing it not to be pushed. See picture below. Team two says that violates rule 30, interference. Team one says that it doesn't because is is part of the robot and not just something put out the keep another from completing their mission.

2) Team 2 has their EV3 programmed to move forward if another robot comes within 10cm of it's front. They do this so that the EV3 doesn't get pushed off the bridge while at the same time pushing the other EV3 back away from the flag.. They sat that since it is expected for robots to collide during this mission, this doesn't violate any rules. Team 1 feels that since it is intentional, it violates the rules.

Interested in seeing others interpretations.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Just my opinions:

Re: 1) See Update RG12. By the text of RG12, that attachment stands a decent chance of being ruled illegal by some referees. One could assess that "wall" attachment as being a barrier. The barrier enhances neither "faster or stronger", so it doesn't meet the intention of RG12.

Although, if the attachment improves strength by interlocking with the bridge, that might satisfy RG12 for "stronger".

Also, other refs could construe RG12's "barriers not allowed" language to refer only to free-standing Equipment that is not part of the robot. In which case, it would be fine.

Re: 2) I see no problem with this method. Again, see RG12. Any strategy that involves "robot clashes" is going to be Intentional, so that's not pertinent.

In either case by mission rule, "interference" is specifically allowed for M01.
    Last edited by Tom Mosher; 10-09-2019, 06:16 PM. Reason: Reduced ambiguity.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post
      2) Team 2 has their EV3 programmed to move forward if another robot comes within 10cm of it's front. They do this so that the EV3 doesn't get pushed off the bridge while at the same time pushing the other EV3 back away from the flag..
      Cool! A great use case for the ultrasonic sensor!
      Last edited by timdavid; 10-09-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

"I" would allow it.

Reading RG12, a "barrier" to me, means deployed equipment. The photo shown above - the group of LEGO parts (that happens to look like a barrier) but is just an attachment (extension) of the robot - IS the robot, see D01. So the robot happens to have a shape (and in this case, an action of locking down) that makes it resistant (stronger) to another bot dislodging it from its location. Why would one say this one shape of robot not allowed to stand firm on the bridge or otherwise "collide" with another robot? If a bot had a "flat face", is there any difference? Nope. And we are all already agreed that robot clashes are not subject to R30 in this narrow instance.

Agree that RG12 (and many other things) don't get to the specifics we would like. So I can only offer what I feel my stance is. Each team should have a stance as to why they think their solution or an opposite table's solution should/shouldn't be allowed.

Comment

RG12 doesn't really define exactly what it means by "barrier".

Absent any clarification from FIRST, I am inclined toward BOD.
          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
          X