Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule 19

Before the match timer starts:
    Show the Referee that ALL your Equipment fits in either the Large or Small Inspection Area (your choice), under an imaginary ceiling 12 in. (30.5 cm) high. If it fits in the Small Inspection area, you get an advantage. The "Small Area" advantage for the City Shaper game is 5 points added to each Mission where you score ANY points. Exceptions: Mission 14 doesn't apply, and for Mission 2, you get 10 added instead of 5. After passing Inspection, arrange your Equipment anywhere in Home for storage and adjustments, and/or the Launch Area for Launch.

What I don't see are instructions on how to deal with equipment that expands, such as linear actuators. OK, you can put it in whatever position you want. Well then, what's to stop a team from creatively breaking an attachment in half so that it fits better, and then reassembling it after the inspection? Also, it does't say anything about having to hold (or not hold) or balance the equipment in order for it to fit.

This is going to be a fun one for sure!
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Wow, 5 points for each mission that scores points! Small bots rule!

Comment

Also, what are the dimensions of the large and small inspection areas?

Comment

Since I don't have my challenge kit (YET!), I would also like to know. The rules do say there is an imaginary 12 inch ceiling in the inspection areas.
        Norfolk, Virginia, USA
        FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Small Area: 13.5" x 19" x 12" tall.
          Large Area: 13.5" x 26" x 12" tall.

Comment

Originally posted by is1c View Post
            Small Area: 13.5" x 19" x 12" tall.
            Large Area: 13.5" x 26" x 12" tall.
            Plus the Red Mark, which is part of both areas.
            Steve Scherr
            Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
            FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

Originally posted by scherrsj View Post

Plus the Red Mark, which is part of both areas.
              "Red Mark"? I'm confused. Where is the "Red Mark"?
              FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

This season I'm looking forward to seeing some robots and attachments that start out in a small compact shape, and then unfold dramatically. Kind of like the Autobot Transformers...

Comment

The Red Mark is a small mark on the Mat that indicates where the boundary line for the Large and Small Inspection Areas is. The boundary line is a part of both areas (based on R15.) . The Red Mark itself isn't part of either area, of course, since it's on the Mat.

Steve Scherr
                  Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
                  FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

Originally posted by scherrsj View Post
                    The Red Mark is a small mark on the Mat that indicates where the boundary line for the Large and Small Inspection Areas is. The boundary line is a part of both areas (based on R15.) . The Red Mark itself isn't part of either area, of course, since it's on the Mat.
                    You are referring to this tiny little blip on the field image (circled in red here)?

It would be awesome if this red mark was mentioned in the rules, since it seems to be an important reference point. The images below Rule 07 (Home) give the general location of the Small/Large boundary, but it doesn't reference this red mark.

red_mark.JPG
                    Last edited by Tom Mosher; 08-02-2019, 12:29 AM.
                    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
                    X