Mechanization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanization

In the design rubric, there is the question of mechanization. In this regard, the team must demonstrate that the robot's mechanisms are able to move with strength, precision and speed. Can someone please give a more in-depth explanation of this issue?
    thanks and sorry for the english

I can tell you how it is briefly described in the information given to judges in Minnesota. Frankly, it was a difficult thing to judge this year in Minnesota as we no longer had performance tables in the judging rooms.

Mechanization – Judges look here for how the robot moves and operates. They look to see whether the robot balances speed and power.

Mechanization Sample Questions
    Tell us about how your robot uses attachments or other mechanisms to complete missions. Describe how your robot moves from place to place, or overcomes obstacles, and balances speed and power.
    How does your robot know where it is on the field?
    Would you explain how your robot turns (or travels a specific distance, or goes from base to a specific destination)? How satisfied are you with this?
    As your robot moves around the field, was there one area that was more difficult to navigate than another? If so, what did your team do to overcome this challenge?

Comment

I understood! So this question also includes the robot's navigation through the field?
      It helped me a lot, thanks.
      PS. I imagine how difficult it must have been in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Jo View Post
        I understood! So this question also includes the robot's navigation through the field?
        It helped me a lot, thanks.
        PS. I imagine how difficult it must have been in Minnesota
        At least in part, yes. Minnesota is a little different than most regions because we also have separate Programming judges. The rubrics for Programming in Minnesota include an Automation/Navigation section that is usually part of the FLL Design rubric. There is some overlap in this section with Mechanization.

Automation/Navigation – Autonomy in FIRST LEGO League means that the robot operates with minimal driver intervention. Retrieving a robot and taking a touch penalty may be part of an acceptable strategy for a team, but it is still driver intervention. So for this instance, a team might have an Accomplished Mission Strategy, but only score Developing for Automation. This criterion also doesn’t distinguish between sensor use/feedback and mechanical feedback. For example, it is valid for a team to use an aligning jig in base followed by a robot using the wall or a mission model to align itself before activating an attachment. It is also just as valid for a team to use a light sensor to follow a line to the same mission model. Teams should try to avoid just using driver aiming, motor rotations and timing to navigate the field, as these methods often become unreliable under variations in field or environmental conditions. Remember that lack of sensors isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Lack of Automation, however, should be considered.

Automation/Navigation questions
        Would you explain how your robot turns (or travels a specific distance, or goes from base to a specific destination)? How satisfied are you with this?
        As your robot moves around the field, was there one area that was more difficult to navigate
        than another? If so, what did your team do to overcome this challenge?
        Would you explain which sensors you used, and how and why you used them?
        Would you explain how your robot knows where it is on the field? Note: Sensing includes not only touch and rotation sensors, but time (timers in the RCX) and passive sensing such as referencing to walls or other objects, etc.

Comment

You can find the various "Judge Prep Packs" at the link below. Some information is Minnesota specific, but most of it is generally applicable.

https://hightechkids.org/volunteer/v...-f88a291e-274f

Comment

it helped me a lot! I was having difficulties in understanding these two items of the rubric. thank you very much for your help! it was fundamental! Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X