Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For EV3, should we use EV3-G (Mindstorms) or Scratch going forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For EV3, should we use EV3-G (Mindstorms) or Scratch going forward?

Looks like EV3-G is dying? On LEGO education official website, you can only download the new Scratch programming software for MacOS laptop. But for Windows users, they only have the old EV3-G programming software available.

So, if some students have windows laptop, some have MacBook, what should the team use??? Is LEGO Education aware of this situation?

I think everyone is aware of the situation. The existing Mac software does not run on Catalina. The existing Windows software runs on most versions of Windows. EV3-G for windows is likely to remain available until it stops working or LEGO stops shipping EV3. A windows version of the scratch programming software is coming available in the spring. As for which to use, that is now up to you. How about Python?

Comment

I can't find the links at the moment but, Lego was going to release everything for next fall's competition. Mac's new OS Catalina broke EV3-G so they have released Mac Lego Scratch early.
      I haven't read anything to indicate whether EV3-G will be completely abandoned for PCs. I'd grab and save the installer for EV3-G if you want to keep using it in case they disconnect the link. In that case EV3-G will probably not be supported or updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
        I think everyone is aware of the situation. The existing Mac software does not run on Catalina. The existing Windows software runs on most versions of Windows. EV3-G for windows is likely to remain available until it stops working or LEGO stops shipping EV3. A windows version of the scratch programming software is coming available in the spring. As for which to use, that is now up to you. How about Python?
        Thanks. I'm afraid LEGO doesn't have any motivation or choice to keep maintaining the existing EV3-G.
        Do you know when they'll release Scratch for Windows, spring when?

Comment

At the moment EV3-G seems like a better programming language than EV3 Sratch.

EV3-G has the following features that EV3 Scratch does not:

Myblocks that can be shared between programs without copying and pasting
          Local variables in the form of data wires
          Myblocks that can have return values.

I would tend to stick with EV3-G for the next couple of years.

Comment

Am I wrong, or are other missing things in scratch is file I/O and the wonderful adv(anced) math block)
            then I‘m out.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueEarth View Post
              Am I wrong, or are other missing things in scratch is file I/O and the wonderful adv(anced) math block)
              then I‘m out.
              I haven't seen any support for file I/O. Scratch has ways to do complicated math functions, though it is not quite as compact as the advanced math block. You have to nest the operations in different operator blocks, instead of putting one more complicated statement in one block.

Comment

Working...
              X