How to tell if string is legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if string is legal?

Hopefully this is the correct sub-forum.
    My team is building an elevator using string and we need more (especially as backups). I've looked at bricklink, but I don't see what makes that "legal" string vs anything else.
    Alternatively, are there other good locations to purchase string.
    Thanks.

The string is legal if it originally came in a product made by LEGO. Pretty much everything sold on bricklink was originally a LEGO product, so that is a good place to buy some.
    Yes, LEGO string is hard to distinguish from string that can be obtained elsewhere. But if your team wishes to follow the rules, it should be LEGO string.

All equipment needs to be LEGO made, in original factory condition. Exception 1: LEGO string and tubing can be cut to length.

Comment

The way the kids answer when a ref asks them "where did you get the string?" is going to critical here. If they immediately and clearly answer with "our coach got it from Bricklink" it'll probably be convincing (especially given R25). Or (as has happened to me) the kids say "this came out of a kit we had; it's the <whatever it was called> kit, it'll probably fly. If they say "we don't know" they'll probably get additional questions.

But ultimately, the team needs to decide if they're going to be able to look at themselves in the mirror every morning. Refs are going to rely on their honesty, and almost all will go into the conversation assuming the kids are being honest. Sometimes we find they're not; other times something slips by us. The vast majority of the time, teams are following the rules, or are at least trying to follow them in good faith.
      Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
      KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by chartes View Post
        Hopefully this is the correct sub-forum.
        My team is building an elevator using string and we need more (especially as backups). I've looked at bricklink, but I don't see what makes that "legal" string vs anything else.
        Alternatively, are there other good locations to purchase string.
        Thanks.
        . A new Lego reel with string for $0.40. That it is new and came off of a winch would seem to be adequate proof.
        I also saw 31 cm string with Lego end studs . A picture taken before cutting the end studs off should do.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/search.page?q=string#T=A

Comment

Working...
        X