Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City Shaper Season ends early... Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Shaper Season ends early... Options?

As we all know, the FIRST championships are not going to happen this year. It's the right decision, but very very unfortunate. It's life, and it happens.
    https://www.firstinspires.org/covid-19

I saw the writing on the wall a day or two ago, and would have bet good money the tournaments would be canceled. But I was hoping that they would try and do SOMETHING. Anything. For example, why not a virtual tournament? It would be robot game only (no judged events). Everyone runs their robot game on a certain day at a certain time and stream it live. Friends and families could watch. Scores could be posted and we could determine winners. It's not foolproof and it's not perfect, but neither are live tournaments. But it would still be fun for the kids. Sure, teams could just do it on their own, but if there was a bigger movement by FIRST, and if they actively encouraged teams to do this, I think it would be a good way to make something out of a bad situation.

I'll bet there are other ideas out there that would be fun for the kids and allow them to showcase the great things they have done, reaching an even bigger audience.
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

I would encourage teams to post videos of their robot runs and their project presentation online, perhaps on youtube. If the videos were tagged or titled appropriately, someone could compile a play list of the videos for the Virtual World Festival. I think that would easier to coordinate than trying to stream it live. No need to declare a winner - all of these teams are winners.

Comment

The streaming live part was more so teams would be able to say that they definitely ran it at that time, rather than just posting a video of their best run over the last two months. Just like the tournament, it's *THIS* run that counts, not what you did at practice two weeks ago. Not that teams NEED proof, but it does make it seem more realistic. I guess to make it most like the tournaments, there should be three runs, say one hour apart each. I wasn't expecting that all teams would join in to one live streaming event. Just stream it and let your friends and family watch, and then post your best run of the three on YouTube.
      Norfolk, Virginia, USA
      FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

There is discussion on Facebook about a virtual tournament
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/FLLShareandLearn/

Comment

Sign-up form for teams interested in Share & Learn Virtual FIRST LEGO League Open Invitational
          https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...52jKw/viewform
          Last edited by timdavid; 03-15-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Let me know if I can help. I own a national online education platform and can help. Thanks
            FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 5x, World 3x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

Working...
            X