Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJR
    replied
    Yes, the age is based on Jan. 1, 2019 since the Challenge was released Aug. 1, 2019. So, a team member could turn 15 on Jan. 2, 2019 or later. That means that a competition after Jan. 2, 2020 could have 16 year old members in the US. My kid has talked about this a lot since she wants one more year after this season and calculated the cutoff about 100 times. She will end up being 15 at a regional next season.

Here is the age info, number 2:

https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll/start-a-team

Recruit up to 10* interested team members ages 9 to 14. Team members must not exceed the maximum age on January 1 of the year the Challenge is released.
    In the U.S. and Canada, FIRST LEGO League participants must not be younger than 9 years old or older than 14 as of January 1 of the year the Challenge is released.

Leave a comment:

• Belleview Robotics
    replied
    Originally posted by DJR View Post
    When changing regions and going to events outside your area, the team must adjust and the team learns the rules of the new region. Sometimes you don't learn it until the first practice round and they have to adjust on the fly. Just like life. I have stepped off a plane with shorts and t-shirts and walked in snow. The team learns to be flexible.

As a side note about regions and the 16 year old age limit, the limit is the age on January 1st of the year of the season. January 1, 2019 for City Shaper. This means that at World, April/May, 2020, there are team members with a possible birthday of January 2, 2002 (16 on Jan 1st, 17 on Jan. 2, 2019) making them 18 years, 4 months at World May 2020. It's amazing to see kids 9 to 18 all speaking the same language, FLL Robotics.
    So, age is based on their age on Jan. 1st, 2019 and not Jan. 1st 2020 for this season?

Leave a comment:

• DJR
    replied
    When changing regions and going to events outside your area, the team must adjust and the team learns the rules of the new region. Sometimes you don't learn it until the first practice round and they have to adjust on the fly. Just like life. I have stepped off a plane with shorts and t-shirts and walked in snow. The team learns to be flexible.

As a side note about regions and the 16 year old age limit, the limit is the age on January 1st of the year of the season. January 1, 2019 for City Shaper. This means that at World, April/May, 2020, there are team members with a possible birthday of January 2, 2002 (16 on Jan 1st, 17 on Jan. 2, 2019) making them 18 years, 4 months at World May 2020. It's amazing to see kids 9 to 18 all speaking the same language, FLL Robotics.

Leave a comment:

• Dean Hystad
    replied
    The only time you will be in a different region is if you get an invitation to the World Festival or some Invitational event. All tournaments in Minnesota are the same, be they a qualifier or the state tournament. That will be true for all regions I would think.

Leave a comment:

• SkipMorrow
    replied
    In Virginia we have two age divisions. Younger kids and older kids. Works great for regionals and for the State tournament. We usually (always???) have two invites to worlds. We take the champion from each age division. It is very possible the second place Div II team is better and more competitive than the first place Div I team. It happens. Also, when that Div I team goes to worlds, they are a bunch of young kids competing against almost entirely older kids. It happens. And yes, there are differences from one regional to another. One volunteer head ref may see a borderline call one way where another sees it the other way. It happens. Remind the kids that things can change and to try to be flexible and to just do their best. Remember, it's not about winning.

Leave a comment:

• Belleview Robotics
    started a topic Different interpretations

Different interpretations

While reading the forums I see a lot of comments that say "ask your regional director." because things might be interpreted differently in different regions. With that being the case, what happens when a team goes to a major event? If my region does something one way and another region does it in a different way, how do they decide what is OK at the major event?

Working...
X