First Time Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Coach

I volunteered to be the coach at my daughters school. I am going to be working with at Junior First LEGO league team. Any suggestions on what to do the very first night? I feel a little lost going into my first night this coming Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: First Time Coach

Group activities are highly dependent on the participants, of course. Introductions first up. I think there are even songs about this. Check a site dealing with 2nd or 3rd grades.

Then sit everyone around a table and put a pile of miscellaneous Lego bricks in front of each. Each person picks one of those pieces and (aloud) "eeny meeny make a Le - GO" passes it right. Each person takes another piece from his pile and adds it to the one passed before eeny meeny make a Le - GO passing the construction right again. This keeps up until you all dissolve in gales of laughter at how ridiculous your "models" have become. OK let's try that again. This time let's all make animals. . . . . . . Variations abound. My favorite is using an egg timer to count down 3 minutes at which time the passing direction reverses. You can also include "Davey passes to Mark" in the passing litany if there's any doubt about who is who (yours or theirs).

You will find the good times to work in the challenge points and other things along the way. Remember that wrap-up core value - fun.
    Bill Bourn
    Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
    Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

I, too am a first time coach and I would love to hear about more LEGO games like the one listed above. I have a Creationary set at home and figured I could bring all of the cards with machines on them and have the kids select one randomly to build. I didn't have any luck searching the other forums, and a web search for "Lego Games" points to the video games or board games. Suggestions please?

Comment

Are there any other games or methods to help cement teams during the first few meetings?

Comment

Originally posted by jax1616 View Post
          Are there any other games or methods to help cement teams during the first few meetings?
          My favorite activity is to get a bunch of cookie sheets and dump out the LEGO for the field kits. We sort the parts, give them name, split into pairs and build the models. We then pass models around to have them quality control checked by other teams. No fun getting to a competition and finding your models are not the same!

I sit in the middle of the floor during all this and just start asking questions, telling stories, and finding teaching moments. Best fun a coach like me gets during the year because I fell like I am allowed to help build the mission models!
          -Skye
          http://www.fll-freak.com/faq Home of the UFAQ
          http://www.fll-freak.com/Archive/ForumArchive.htm Home of the FLL Forum Archive

Comment

Working...
          X