Question about using NXT/EV3 bricks and motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about using NXT/EV3 bricks and motors

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question, so please redirect me if it is not.

My team would really like to create their model using an EV3 brick and motors. Two of the kids already have experience building robots with EV3 and NXT and all the kids want to learn and have a smoother transition to FLL next year. We have been told by event coordinators here that in St. Louis that this is "not allowed", but I don't actually see anything specifically forbidding it in the rules. I just see that the model must include a LEGO motor. Does that mean the Power Functions motors only or does an EV3 servo motor count?

So, the first question is: could the team use an EV3 and servo motor for its moving element? And the second question is: if not, can the team implement a Power Functions motor and then *in addition* implement with the EV3?

Thanks so much,
    Amy

Re: Question about using NXT/EV3 bricks and motors

Originally posted by awmiransky33 View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place for this question, so please redirect me if it is not.

My team would really like to create their model using an EV3 brick and motors. Two of the kids already have experience building robots with EV3 and NXT and all the kids want to learn and have a smoother transition to FLL next year. We have been told by event coordinators here that in St. Louis that this is "not allowed", but I don't actually see anything specifically forbidding it in the rules. I just see that the model must include a LEGO motor. Does that mean the Power Functions motors only or does an EV3 servo motor count?

So, the first question is: could the team use an EV3 and servo motor for its moving element? And the second question is: if not, can the team implement a Power Functions motor and then *in addition* implement with the EV3?

Thanks so much,
    Amy
    I posed this question to the support team. In case anyone else is interested, I thought I'd post their response:

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your email. Jr.FLL teams are allowed to use an EV3 and servo motor for its moving element.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional questions.

With High 5’s and Admiration,

Jr.FLL Team Support

Comment

Working...
    X